Thread: Chief Upgrade

Threaded View

As any software program becomes more complex, it is harder for the authors to predict what combinations end-users make inflict on it and they are no more "super-human" than you or I. Any new software is problematic for it's users to the degree that they are ignorant of it's procedures, nomenclature and features.

That said, Chief Version 5 generated many, many lines of complaints and querys by end-users and still does so.

This forum and the Chief-Users forum on E-Groups exist for the airing of querys, suggestions, news and complaints and as such is productive of communications from people not at their best, under presure to produce, often without fully studying the documentation of the software, a very Human situation.

Chief Version 6 is superior in EVERY way to Version 5 and not just "Bells and Whistles" but real enabeling, empowering, time-saving CAD TOOLS that exist nowhere in Version 5 or in any other CAD package of comparable price and learning curve. I beta tested Version 6 and by doing so have a "leg-up" on other, newer users. I, in helping Becky Deilman prepare the new Manuals' glossary, read (for the first time) the Version 5 manual and all extant documents for Version 6
    as well as many hundreds of hours using the Beta, can say that I know what I am talking about.

You can wait for Version 6.5 or 7. The upgrade fees and learning curves, rightfully so, will be higher. I create my Family's survival with Chief. I am a professional. High production and high competance are required in the competitive arena in which I "Play". I want nothing less than the best tools and Chief 97 is not the best, Version 6 IS.

I have less than a crash or two a week, it is not unusual to have none(fewer than Version 5). I draw, at the computer, about 50 to 60 hours per week and have had ZERO barriers drawing what I want, as I want and when I want. If I have a problem, I solve it and "drive on" (my clients don't want to hear about it). Since version 4, Chief has never been a problem to me. I am the source of my problems and I am the solution, you decide what is best for you, I did.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter