arching the top of a wall

I have a seperate wall about 7' long by 8' tall. This wall is not connected to any other wall. The ceiling in the room is vaulted. The top of the wall does not touch the ceiling. I want to give this wall a slight arch on the top from one end to another. Any suggestions???
    Thanks

In elevation,click on the top of the wall and use the arc tool..Same way as shortening a wall..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Mike
    Create an arched slab atop of the normal wall (in elevation view) to create an impression that the wall continues as an arch (you will need to adjust meterial to match wall face
    or
    divide the wall top into small segments and arrange them into an arch

I'd recommend the 1st method
    Matt
    For where your home is, there will your heart be also.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj
    In elevation,click on the top of the wall and use the arc tool..Same way as shortening a wall..
    Allen --if you don't mind my question-- which arc tool do you mean exactly? -- I'd like to learn that method but it doesn't really work for me...?
    Matt
    For where your home is, there will your heart be also.

Sorry
    My mistake,thought that tool came up for walls..
    Mack has the right idea..
    Maybe it was polysolids I was thinking of...****,I hate to make mistakes...:mad:

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

A polyline solid is probably the easiest but you can use break points (similar to CAD lines and polylines) to shape the top of a wall. That was the way we did it before polyline solids.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Free Gratis voor Geen Geld

I made a little object that may be useful. It is a slab with a rounded top. Its natural size is 1000 mm wide 1000 mm high and 100 thick. the rounded portion starts 500 mm above the base, and has a radius of 500 too. A dxf file, should be imported in mm. The various surfaces have several layers, and can therefore be coloured separately. The object may be stretched in all directions, but you are advised to place a stretch-zone XY at Z, First height 500 mm, second 1000 mm ( or use equivalent imperial units), check stretch zone height 1-2.

slaaby dxf.zip
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 10-31-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

This is a good example of how wall lines should behave like cad lines...we should have the arch option available for the wall...this should also be available in plan view...along with other cad functions.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Ben,

I agree. I'd also like to be able to arc the tops of railings and fences.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I have found the best way to create a nice smooth curve on the top of a wall is to put a curved roof over as the height and radius is easy to set,
    I then put this roof on its own layer and turn it off. Works great