Al, plez elaborate on how you do the copying.. are you copying from window to window or on the same window plan etc etc..

Copying in a Camera mode

In Chief 97 I am unable to copy objects in any of the camera views; whether plan, wall elevation, full, or cross section. The copy icon appears on the tool bar whenever I highlight the object, as does the object specification icon and the delete icon. Each of the icons works as intended except for the copy icon. Is there a special mouse button sequence that must be followed, or other routine, for the copy icon to work, or is it a useless feature?

Thanks for your response,
    Al

Al,

In Chief 97 you can only copy objects, text, poly-lines and such only in plan view. If you are trying to copy CAD items, you should also be in "CAD mode" while doiing so(in both child windows)

In Version 6 you can copy in elevation views as well but not in 97. When I have lost the ability to do so in 97, I have "solved" that temporary condition by rebooting the program, this also often works for temporary loss of V6 features.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

While in cross section or elevation select oject; hold control & C; place cursor on object and left click(I use the center handle and press firmly)
    Charlie

------------------

My thanks to Francis, David and Charlie for their responses.
    To elaborate further on what I do, I'll use this example. I construct a simple, four wall room with a door in it. I the take a camera shot of it, either plan, full or cross section. While in this view, I then click on the door and the icons appear on the tool bar, one of which is the copy icon. With the door clicked on, I then click on the copy icon and it appears to be activated. However, when placing the cursor(which at this time has the copy icon attached to it) at the location I want the new door to be located, and then left click the mouse, I do not get a new door. I also tried this using the right right and center buttons on the mouse, as well as double clicking.
    Hope this clears up what I'm trying to do.
    Thanks for your help.
    Al

PS to Charlie.

I am familiar with the CNTRL C method you suggested, and I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks anyways,
    Al

Al:
    The "Control C" method seems touchy. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it does it's a thing of beauty.

I have found, that when "Control C" doesn't work, selecting the object to be copied and then going to file/copy in the permanent toolbar always works.

Since "Contol C" is supposed to be the keyboard equivalent to file/copy, I am befuddled as to why it only works when it wants to. Could be a Windoze thing?

------------------
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN

I must admit I have not tried the ctrl-C method. What I do in elevation/cross-section is highlight the item I want to copy, press the ctrl key, left click on the highlighted item, then (while continuing to hold the ctrl key down) drag the item 90d from the original and viola you have your copy. I read about ctrl-c, but never have tried it, what I described above works cause I use it all the time, I can't really comment on ctrl-c, guess I will have to try it.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas http://members.spree.com/djpotter

[This message has been edited by David Jefferson. Potter (edited 12 November 1999).]

David:

I can't duplicate what you describe, assuming, of course, that I understand what you are describing. What do you mean by "drag the item 90d from the original?" Do you mean left, right, up, or down; as orthogonal moves are your only choice when in elevation/cross section?

What your saying, in essence, is that holding down the control key somehow activates the "copy" command, and the only normal keyboard equivalent to that command that I know of is "Control C". Are you using Macro Express or some other macro program to augment your keyboard commands?

Hmmmm. Very strange. You might be on to something, but I'm not sure what it is.

------------------
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN

[This message has been edited by Dan Marrin (edited 12 November 1999).]

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your response; I appreciate your efforts. I tried each of your suggestions without success UNTIL I decided to explore Charlie Williams' suggestion further. I did exactly as he suggested, BUT added one more left click at the end - don't ask me why I did this, perhaps I forgot I alreaady did it once. So I was in elevation view, selected the object, depressed the cntrl & c keys together, left clicked on the object, then left clicked one more time. If at this time it doesn't appear to be working for you, select the object and move it to one side and voila! What happened is that it duplicates itself right on top of itself and is not apparent that it has been copied.
    IT WORKS AT LAST!!! Thanks Charlie!
    Is this a great country or what?
    AL

Dan,

I will try to not leave out any steps this time:
    1.you are in an elevation view.
    2.you high-light the item in question (in non-cad mode).
    3.while high-lighted, then left click on the copy icon with a mouse left click.
    4.Then depress the ctrl key on the key board.
    5.Next, while holding the control key down you, with the mouse left-click and hold the high-lighted item dragging it up, down right or left from the original position of the original item.
    6.Turn loose of the dragged item (ctrl-key and cursor).
    7.Then you have your copied item to reposition, resize or what ever.

I still cannot comment on the ctrl-C method as I have not taken the time to use it.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

Dave,
    I just tried your routine and it works beautifully.
    Thanks for the input.

Al

Dave:

Thanks for the clarification and listing of steps you use in the copy process. The reason I was originally confused was that you left out step "3.while high-lighted, then left click on the copy icon with a mouse left click." in your earlier post. I assume that this step is equivalent to the "Control C" method or Edit/Copy.

However, your step "4.Then depress the ctrl key on the key board." is not necessary unless you intend to move the copy somewhere it wouldn't ordinarily go without the use of the ctrl key.

Thanks again for the clarification