backgrounds-panoramic 360degree camera photo

is it possible to import a 360degree photo from digital still camera (photo taken over 3-4-5frames and joined ) to import as a background so when
    I do a walkthru of a house and also save the walkthru to avi file in chief the background "moves around" left/right with the camera? (acts as if it was real and house and background viewpoint behave as in real life, and not as I have now background staying still 1 perspective, house moving left/right with camera left/righttool as it should) as seen when looking from inside of house out windows/ranch sliders using camera tools.

thanks,bernard

yes i may be done, but it is sometimes less than ideal...if i want a specific view out specific windows, i will often use an image of the view, rather than a background...you can adjust the size and placement of images very easily to get the view to look right from out the window...
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:17 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Hi Tim,

Are you referring to applying the panoramic image to the inside of a large cylinder that would surround the home? I have not tried this but have often wondered.

Sam

i doubt a cylinder would work well...it is too faceted and each surface would end up with a copy of the 'material'...ie very fragmented...

there is a feature in the 3d camera settings>backdrop to use panoramic images

Attachment 7816

they need to be fairly high quality images and there is no way to set the diameter of the 'sphere they are in, or its origin short of editing it in an outside editor..

but if you get one set up it is kind of cool...
    Attachment 7817

give it a spin and the image 'wraps' around the model....

(i edited the size and the # of frames down to reduce the file size)
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:17 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

CCC is offline Building Florida Since 74
    Tim, what happens when you're inside the bldg looking out?

I've just been using a cropped image for the 'glass' material of the windows and guestimating what would be seen. Of course, its the same for all camera angles in the room.
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange]~Cheryl[/COLOR][/SIZE]

robbc is offline Registered User Promoted
    While developing a game for Nintendo my programming team discovered that if a sufficiently large cube was created and textures mapped to the 6 sides then it looked very pretty good. Its best to distort the edges somewhat. This was MUCH faster than a sphere due to the much lower polygon counts. I can't remember the distance required. I am not sure it would work in Chief as the game platform allowed for VERY large workspaces. I also forget the name of this technique and am too lazy to look it up!

robbc,

that is why i prefer to use images outside a window for inside shots...they are just a picture no object at all, no curves, no facets, etc...and they are very easy to move up, down, side to side, etc...to look right

cheryl,

something like this...it has been slowed down, and frames removed to keep file size down...
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 08-09-2006 at 06:27 PM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Tim:

Very interesting technique, thanks for sharing.

It's still too fast tho

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

CCC is offline Building Florida Since 74
    way cool! ~C
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange]~Cheryl[/COLOR][/SIZE]