Smile How do you change a building's elevation?

I have a multiple building plan I am working on created in V9.54. I am using Chief to get an idea of what a proposed building would look like compared to existing structures. I have imported a jpeg from google earth and have traced the existing buildings and roads using Chief.

I want the 7 unit townhouse to have the garages under. I need to raise the whole building 5 feet. I have tried but I always screw it up. Is there a logical order to editing the values in the room specification dialoge box? Is it logical to start in the foundation and edit up?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's best to work with floor 1 first when setting elevations then the foundation.

However, it is better to lower the terrain rather than raise the building +5'.

Lew
    Last edited by lbuttery; 07-17-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I knew someone would suggest lowering the terrian. I am not sure this would accomplish what I need to accomplish. I have several other buildings on the plan. The terrain is flat with respect to all buildings. I am trying to add garage parking under the proposed 7 unit townhouse. I do not want to have this building be three stories with a high pitched rood at the same grade as the existing buildings. I just want to pull the foundation out of the existing grade about 4 feet so I can have the garages under and not have in effect a 4 story building in the middle of 2 story buildings.

If I built them slab on grade with relation to the other buildings they would dominate and be unacceptable to the neighbors. If a raise the foundation and scrape away some of the existing grade and keep a low pitched roof I can blend them in better.

The goal is to eliminate the at grade parking and create more lawn for green space . I can have one car in the garage and one car in the driveway in front of it instead of the 2 required parking spots taking up the front yard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

One way is to bring your building in as a symbol. It then can easily be moved in x,y or z directions. Lots of posts. Try this one.
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ht=subdivision
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Did you get it worked out? It is a little tricky.

It is trial and error changing the room defininition dialogue box values . I had to manually adjust some of the foundation walls after I changed the elevation of the whole building. Now my challenge is to make the terrain "enclose" parts of the exposed foundation and lower it so the "garage under" will be exposed.

If I had the funds I would upgrade at this time. I understand that v 10.0 has retaining walls that can do this. I love this program. thanks for your help.

I'm glad you got it. There are ways to speed up that process. Just remember that the first floor has priority.

I saw that one wall would need adjusting. You can also just check default wall height.

We have retaining walls and a new tool called terrain break which allows you to divide the terrain into seperate regions.
    Last edited by louis; 07-18-2006 at 09:26 AM.