Roof open from inside, not outside?

I appreciate any help on this one. I have a roof that appears to have an opening along the ridge line when viewed from the inside (see image). When viewed from the outside, there is no opening. The floor plan view of the roof planes also show no opening.

I've used F12 to no avail. I have essentially the same roof structure in the main part of the house (large shed dormers with a higher pitched roof plane on the sides) and they appear to be fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridge hole.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	7065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridge hole closed.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	7066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridge hold plan.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	7067  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, I seemed to have found a solution although I don't like the design compromise... if I eliminate the overhang on the dormer roof planes so that the roof plane is at the edge of the dormer walls then the opening in the ridge goes away. Not sure why and I don't like having to give up the overhang in order to get the interior views to be accurate.

Ceiling Planes

Dave, If you lower the ceiling plane to a 4 1/2" slope the problem goes away. The higher ceiling plane 4 5/8" must be cutting the upper roof plane and creating the open roof.
    Dwight Luck
    TJW Homes
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Version 10.8
    Version X1.3

Dwight,

Thanks for looking at it. You're right, that will close the ridge line. Unfortunately, it then creates a dip in the ridge when viewed from the exterior. I want the main roof planes and the dormer roof planes to share a common ridge height.

Maybe I can't design it in Chief the way I want to build it. Seems odd though - "hinged" shed dormers like this are not that uncommon.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave, If you pull the main roof back up to meet in center and use the roof opening tool to cut a hole for your dormer you can set the ridge height of your dormer roof to match that of the main roof and that might take care of your problem.
    Dwight Luck
    TJW Homes
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Version 10.8
    Version X1.3

Dwight,

Thanks again but I think I've already tried what you're recommending. That was the method recommended in the CA training videos so I attempted that first but I kept getting an error message warning me that my "skylight" or the hole I created in the main roof was too close to the edge of the roof polyline. I backed it away several inches but I still got the error message. If I pull back any further then I thought that the x-sections, elevations, and 3D views would not reflect how I wanted it to be built.

Dave