Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RHD is offline Registered User Promoted

Talking

"In department stores, so much kitchen equipment is bought indiscriminately by people who just come in for men's underwear."
    Julia Child
    John

Islands

I design a lot of kitchens... in fact that's about 90 percent of what I design. Most people want islands if they have the room and most will want me to figure out out how to put one in even if they don't. If it's not functionally possible I won't do it. Though if I can do it (space wise) I will even though there may be other layouts that I would personally prefer.

I believe that is key to being a good designer. Listening to what the client wants and doing the best I can to implement it while setting my own preferences aside. That is not to say you should toss good judgement out the window and give people whatever they ask for. They are paying for my expert advise, technical knowledge and creative ability. If they want something else, I don't have it to offer.

I can think of many reasons to add an island to a kitchen layout. The most popular reason I get for remodels is changing the U-shaped kitchen that gained popularity in the 70's and 80's to an L-shape with an island. This can allow for better circulation and will create access for more than one person in the kitchen. Many people are also asking for prep sinks in islands too. But I think the reason for this is that islands will often create an obstacle to the traditional workflow triangle. In essence, when you do this you are creating a secondary triangle which evolves into a work zone design for multiple cooks.

Another reason is to create additonal base cabinet storage. There has been a recent trend toward reducing or even eliminating upper or wall cabinets in exchange for views or open shelving. Many of the remodels and new construction designs I see are opening the kitchen up to the other living spaces and creating less formal areas. When that happens, there is less wall space to attach cabinets to, so islands and peninsulas become necessary.

Please check out The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) as Cheryl suggested. This goes for anybody who is designing kitchens. They are the author for the guidelines that we use as professionals to ensure our designs are safe (foremost), functional and up-to-date. They provide opportunities for professional education and certification for the industry. Their website is: www.nkba.org

Another great resource is www.kitchen-bath.com which is the site for Kitchen and Bath Business. It is a free publication available to students and professionals involved in the kitchen and bath industry. The NKBA also offers a free monthly publication.

Pam

I love the banter !

Having seen this genuine well meaning request for opinions I 'm tempted to design up a real doosie of a kitchen or bathroom and then lock it into the collesseum and watch with glee as the lions move in to redesign. It reminds me of critiques in art school pity the one who can't take the heat.
    All my kidding aside this forum is wonderful for learning and fast too.

Daniel,

My 2 cents:

I asked for a critique here before, and I had wonderful responses. Learned a lot

I critiqued this post also. I did it for the benefit of the requester, because I believe the author genuinely asked for comments. My critique has no malicious intention.

"I 'm tempted to design up a real doosie of a kitchen or bathroom and then lock it into the collesseum and watch with glee as the lions move in to redesign"

You should not ask for a critique if your intention is the "above". waste yours and others time and this forum bandwith.

CCC is offline Building Florida Since 74
    Bad Idea, Daniel. ~C
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange]~Cheryl[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My apologies!

I won't waste your time again.
    I sorry !
    Really my lines in the offending reply were only to note the effectivness and thorough generousity of more experienced users ,designers ,builders architects etc and that you really can get valuable help with all building and design questions and I have . I wouldn't enter an invalid question to such a helpful forum.
    good bye,

I'd like to encourage people who are asking for help to be specific in their requests for critiques. Questions like "Do you think this roof looks too massive?" are easier to respond to than a generic "what do you think of this design?"

It's easy for architects (like me) to forget how fragile egos can sometimes be, especially if they haven't been through the fire of design school. There's nothing like 4 or 5 years of design studios, followed by a few years of internships, where you are told on a daily basis what's wrong with your designs, to help give you some flexibility in your thinking. Some people (architects) finally internalize that it's just a design on paper and not that precious, and others become even more protective of their egos once they are freed onto their own. (This may contribute to the perceived, or real, arrogance of some architects.)

It is a tough issue when a client comes into your office with a rat-maze that they've designed and now want you to help facilitate it. Software that gives the appearance of making home design seem easy and "no experience required" can be frustrating to someone who sees how quickly the public can be convinced that the tools are a cheap and easy substitute for actual training, education, and experience.

There are obviously many generous people on this forum, who thankfully provide a balance to (co-) curmudgeons like myself.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com