Fireplace Mantels

Hi I'm new to trying to create 3d images in CA10 was wondering if anybody can tell me where to find info on how to create things such as fireplace mantel. We are into custom woodworking and would like to try creating a fireplace mantel. Tried several searches with no luck.
    Any help would be great. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kevin
    kdesigns

Hi Kevin,

The front view looks simple enough to do in Chief with slabs and or polysolids.

HTH,

Sam

Thanks I found polysolids and played with that and got it to work now I just need to do some fine tuning. It was pretty simple but just needed a little kick start to get going. Looks like you have to draw this in 3d not in the floor plan to get it to work the best. Just wondering if that's right. Thanks for the help.
    Kevin
    kdesigns

Hi Kevin,

It depends. Whatever works best for the component. You may want to draw your elements in a plan view and then copy/paste/convert them in the elevation camera. That way you won't accidentally loose your work if you unintentionally don't save or delete the camera . I can't remember for sure, but you may have more tools available in plan view as well.

HTH,

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 04-10-2006 at 08:40 AM.

Kevin:

The mantel "shelf" can be built in plan view in a number of ways: 1. custom counter top; 2. slab tool; 3. polyline solid; 4. in CAD mode, with a rectangular polyline that is converted to a polyline solid.

The back or wall piece is easiest to make in a back-clipped or wall elevation view using a polyline solid. You can create the broken arch look by coming in from each edge X inches and putting in a line break, then select the center line and click on the "Change Line/Arc" tool and then click on the arc handle and drag it up under the mantel shelf in the shape or radius you want.

Chief Architect has several styles of corbels in the Library (Millwork > Corbells) which you can use as supports for your shelf. It is easiest to use these in elevation view (section) as you can precisely place them better in this view (you can also open them and edit their properties).

Then when your done you can block the different elements together and save in the Library for future use.

You may have already figured all this out, but, if not, maybe I helped a little.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard