Join Roof Planes, what am I doing wrong??

This happens from time to time, and I thought I had it down but today I can't fix it.

I am building a Gable roof manually. I add my roof planes on my side walls, I then select the edge of one, hit the join roof plane button, then select the other roof plane edge. They join, but it's often not centred. It'll be off about an inch.:mad: My room is exactly 16' wide (outside dimension), they should join at 8'.

Ok, so I delete and try it again. I zoom in to make sure that both planes are built on the EXACT same layer. Join them again and now they are out a 1/4".
    Little better. Still, this is not right. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have your default dimensions set right?You need a box checked for 1/8s or 16s...
    That's all I got...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planes (Medium).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	5274  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Hey Allen,
    I do have my dimensions set to 1/16". I just did exactly what you did in your picture and it worked, of course. Hmmmm.... I have no idea what the difference is between a blank plan and a plan that I have been working on all day. Oh well, thanks anyways.

Any other ideas??

Sometimes - just depending on wall settings, location, materials...or base line location - the face board height is different....

Take a second to be sure that your roof planes are both starting at the same height....fascia height, baseline height...and the like....

This could be a culprit.
    CA User since 1997.
    Current: V10, X1, X2

Thanks Chris,
    You're probably right, I'll check into that because sometimes it works perfect, sometimes it's off. So it's probably a wall material or setting.

Thanks again

Dai
    Maybe you have a higher wall hight..Check it in glass house mode...
    Or maybe the roof plane is not parallel with the wall.
    In other words"I don't know"

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

if you have the baseline for each roof section the same ht, but at different distances from the wall, you would get this...
    Tim O'Donnell

Tim knows..
    Thanks Tim.
    I didn't realize you could draw it away from the wall.That must be why I get crooked ones sometimes..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	off center.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	5283  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

I didn't realize you could draw it away from the wall.That must be why I get crooked ones sometimes..
    this is easy to do if you do not realize that ALL snaps affect the baseline creation...especially easy if you use, and have active, grid snaps and they are set a bit off the wall on one side, in small values, etc and the baseline snaps to them one one side and to the wall on the other...

judicious use of the snap tools.. needs to be used...I often see problems like this being caused simply by users turning on all snap attributes with a small grid size and they wonder why it seems to indiscriminately snap to things...a small grid setting when zoomed out is not even visible onscreen (if it were the screen would be unreadable due to the large number of closely spaced grid lines) and a user may not even be aware it is active..

learning to turn on only the snaps you need want as you need/want them will help most users immensely
    Tim O'Donnell