Thread: Vaulted Room

Vaulted Room

I have a two story house plan with one of the first floor rooms vaulted to the roof (open below). A staircase is in this room, which terminates on the second floor’s “floor platform”. The floor platform has an “exposed” edge where it passes over the vaulted room. Questions:

1) A 3D camera view taken of the exposed edge of the second floor platform (second floor railing surrounds edge of exposed platform) shows that the floor platform’s surface stops just short of the first floor wall’s surface, in other words the surface of the platform and wall are about one half inch apart, causing a slight “step” in the 3D view. It appears that the second floor’s platform is built to the outer main layer of the wall below, and the sheetrock on the wall below seems to be causing the step. How do I correct this and make the exposed edge of the second floor’s platform surface be flush with the outer surface of the wall below?

2) If I have this 2 story room already defined as “open below”, when I build a staircase in the room, do I have to surround it with invisible walls and also define it as open below, as described in the manual, or do I just make the staircase anywhere in the room where I want it since the room is already defined as “open below”.
    Bill K