Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey thanks for that Don. So how does your i7 3.3 Ghz with NV 295 perform with CA X2 ?

Red Face

Quote Originally Posted by HeyIts007 View Post
    Hey thanks for that Don. So how does your i7 3.3 Ghz with NV 295 perform with CA X2 ?
    CAX2 performs great! Makes Light Speed seem slow.

The attached picture is how it feels when multi-tasking GByte CAX2 files, POV-Ray rendering in the background and listening to music.

Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.

So Don, you are using Notebook / Laptop PC or Desktop ? I was told today by the guy at the PC shop that i7 was only for Notebooks / Laptops. Perhaps erroneously ?
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 01-02-2010 at 04:56 AM.

On another note on Domes, I guess getting a concave scoop out of the top of the dome with a convex transparent section covering it to then again complete the dome, might be asking too much of the software ? For instance somewhere to put solar panels, of varying kinds.

So Don, you are using Notebook / Laptop PC or Desktop ? I was told today by the guy at the PC shop that i7 was only for Notebooks / Laptops. Perhaps erroneously ?
    The guy at the PC shop is wrong.
    I'M running a desktop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i7 975.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	36539
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.

On another note on Domes, I guess getting a concave scoop out of the top of the dome with a convex transparent section covering it to then again complete the dome, might be asking too much of the software ? For instance somewhere to put solar panels, of varying kinds.
    The convex portion at the top would need to be separate roof planes using a transparent material.

The concave roof planes would need to be constructed separately with their base lines toward the center of the building rather than to the outside. Then it's just a matter of getting the right curvature, height etc.

Or you could use solids. Make the top out of two concentric spheres with slightly different radii at the same center. Subtract the smaller from the larger. Then use a block to subtract off the bottom. Do a similar operation for the concave portion.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Ahh ok thanks for that Doug. I have not finalized on the most effective design of this solar radiation capture housing section, but to know that it can be done with domes and curves etc... is impressive and offers some hope for a suitable CAD design eventuating.

Dave

Question Are there any improvements in CA ability to model dome structures. It's 2013 now.

Are there any improvements in CA ability to model dome structures external and internal ? It's 2013 now, going on 2014.

I'd speculate there are fewer people doing domes today than in 2004 when this thread started. I could be wrong...
    Not that I don't think the challenge would'nt be fun.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Here is a dome done with roof planes and ridge caps.

notice that these two models are really the same dome, with different materials and and different ridge caps.

They are not too hard to make. Just work out the geometry in cad, and snap the roof planes to the cad. Once you've done one of each type of plane, they can be copied using the transform/replicate tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome layout.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	61674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass dome.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	61675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME ELEVATION.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	61676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME PICTORIAL.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	61677  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Bill,

If you wanted to make smaller triangles, I assume that you use a set of smaller angles in a cross section view to determine the circumscribed circles at each level. It appears that your example uses 30 degrees but that a 15 degree increment could be used to get a dome with about half the lengths of the triangle sides.

This is kind of a cool exercise. It could make an interesting play structure project. I recall that some of the students at Cal Poly back in 1959-1960 built one using steel tube (about 50' in diameter) that was in the central patio of the Architectural Department. I don't know if it still exists - we moved it at least once by having 75-80 students around the perimeter just pick it up and walk about 500 feet.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Yo, ArchiJef,
    there was a dome thread back in 2012 called: A Really Dome Tips, go to thread pg #3 and see posts #39 & #40 by Bill Emery. He actually gives you a Chief X5 built Geodesic Dome Model (built with roof planes) and a CAD 2d plan view diagram as well as a simple verbal "How To". The contents of his two posts should be put into the Chief Manual or on a How To Video as he really seems to know his Poo Poo on this one. See my attached copy of his zipped model.

Also, that Sketch-up/Chief Hybrid that Don Randall did in post #4 here is a really nice looking dome except for that entry which is no way elegant nor architectural enough for that clean looking beautiful Metal and Glass dome that he created. Hat's off to Mr Randall's expertise and abilities on creating that cool looking dome symbol.

Almost looks like he's good enough with Sketch-up that he could almost get by without Chief (I think Chief needs to integrate it's 2d and strong parts with Sketch-up-If I were a semi-retired Bill Gates, I'd purchase Sketch-up, Chief and Soft-plan and make an AutoCAD Killer of a Cad program.).-Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4