Trees won't shadow

Guess I'm not finding the right button, but my trees and plants won't produce shadows like everything else does. What'd I do wrong? I looked in Manual and CDs and coudln't find anything.
    Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks,
    Cameron

Cameron,

Most of tree and plants that are images will not produce shadows in render mode. If the plant is a symbol it will produce a shadow in render mode. The images will produce shadows in a raytrace view.

One thing I have done is to place a 3D tree in the middle of a tree image so I get the looks of the image and the properties of the 3D. You have to find 2 that go together. I think the one I used was an image of a tree with no leaves with the 3D with leaves. Looks like a tree in fall with most of the leaves gone.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

thanks Louis and Dennis. I'll try the 3-D/symbol combo to see how that works.
    One of my issues is I'm trying to match the existing trees on the site.
    Thanks,
    Cameron

they also need something to cast the shadow on...ie terrain needs to be built usually

and...

I've only used the xfrog trees, but here's something I found with them - they are like cardboard cutouts, so they only cast a good shadow if the sun is more behind the camera than not. If the sun is coming in from the side - you might think you don't have a shadow, when what you have is a very skinny one.

Wendy

Wendy that is true as chief auto rotates the 2d image to face the camera, and as such the light source will sometimes be parallel to the symbol.... use the x-frog SYMBOLS rather than the x-frog images...they can be found at fixtures>Plants>~XfrogPlants...
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 11-22-2004 at 06:26 PM.

Do any of you guys (generic) know of places/sites that I can get a better variety of plants?
    Cameron

Try his link http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/products.htm
    They are free downloads
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I love you man!

Thanks Tim,

You know, I posted this under "suggestions" - a request to maybe give the cardboard version a second piece, invisible to the camera but parallel to the sun... and I don't think I got any response at all. I'm glad I jumped in to this post or I never would have known about the symbols version. I had a couple of shots that I had to forego because of this. No more!

Wendy