log siding w alder woodgrain look

I'm trying to get something that looks like log siding...preferably with the woodgrain color of the alder lt....I can specify the alder for trim/ fascia etc...but how can I get a siding to look like that in render...t.ia.

The easy way would be to open a log texture and adjust the color in a image editing program (PaintShop Pro, PhotoShop, etc.). If you don't have a log texture try this link:
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com/chieft...&highlight=Log

You can get the log look in 3D using molding polylines and a custom moldings for the log shape you want. You can apply the alder texture to the moldings. This will will requie 3 separate moldig polylines, or more if you have different window heights:
    1 that is set at a height that breaks at doors,
    1 that breaks at doors and windows,
    1 or with no breaks for openings.

You could also try creating your own "texture" for a log material. In this case you would use molding line, add the custom moldings for the log shape (stack 6-10 high), make the molding material alder, open a perpsective view as close to straight-on as you can get and fairly close to the the stack of logs and I would try adding shadows.

I would then export a .jpg (or .bmp for better quality) then in PaintShop Pro or any image editing program set up the texture save as a .jpg and add to your texture folder in Chief.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Here are some log textures that I think Larry provided.

Log Textures

custom log textures are very easy to create right in Chief...here is how I made the one below..

first I drew a profile of the logs (size /shape--I stacked 12 rows of 8" arcs) I wanted to use then saved it as a molding profile, using the molding line tool, I applied this profile to the line usaing the alder texture as the material...then took a dead on render camera shot in the center of this "molding"...saved the jpg then cropped it to it's final size in PSP
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:22 AM.

thx

Interesting approaches guys...thx...J