Program for Chief Symbol Creation

What is the "best" program for symbol creation in Chief? (Capable of making all kinds of Chief symbols)
    I dont have any "personal preferences" regarding such programs, and am therefore searching for a independent recommendation. In short words: What is the best companion to Chief?

best at any price? I think there is no one answer. Many have come to love the combination of SketchUp & Chief. I think it costs about $400 but don't quote me on that. Some have TurboCad and use it because they have it. What is needed is a full featured cad program that can export 3D dxf or dwg complete with faces.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Dennis is on the right track, sketchup is probably the easiest program. And the affordable one. Symbol creation requires knownledge on 3D. If your comfortable with the 3d enviroment then you should have no problem. Here are other cad programs that you can use.

Autocad
    TurboCad
    Intellicad
    Sketchup
    3d studio max

And there are others. As Dennis said "What is needed is a full featured cad program that can export 3D dxf or dwg complete with faces." Very important.

You can download trial version of the softwares listed and try it out.

Welll my 2 cents. Hope that helps.
    David Noble
    Commonwealth Designs
    Ph: 678-562-2124
    Fax: 678-935-0451
    david@cwdesigners.net

You may need to clarify your question a bit.

For example,

What's your background, 3D-wise and how much time do you have to learn a new program.? Do you need a simple-to-use program with more basic functionality or a full-featured program with a steeper learning curve?

Do you want to create symbols or mainly "tweak" symbols (from the internet or from Chief). Are you thinking of construction-type symbols like trim & doors or are you thinking of furnishings like lamps & tables?

Are you looking for other capabilities as well as symbol creation? For example, people like Sketchup because it combines a powerful "sketching" ability with the ability to create symbols. People like Turbocad or Autocad because they provide traditional drafting features with the ability to create symbols. These tools may or may not be the best for creating symbols but they're valued for their combined features.

Is price an issue? Chief Symbols lists a couple of tools on their website at http://www.chiefsymbols.com/CAD.html that are in the $70-100 range (3D Canvas Pro and Chief Symbols 3D Manager). Archijef2000 has a $20 program Accutrans which does file conversion and symbol tweaking.
    Douglas Mosman
    Mosman Design Services LLC