Thread: CMU Details?

CMU Details?

Does anyone have CMU details they are willing to share? I've got a crazy client who wants to put a 20' rollup garage in a 10' above grade CMU wall. Any details will help but detail in the lintel(headers) area would be most appreciated.

I feel pretty good about the design but I must admit I am completely inexperienced in this method of construction. Anyone familiar with this mode of construction care to give any pointers or gotchas?

Thanks, Scott

Scott,

There are pre-drawn details in the Library Browser which you can edit and use or create your own using 2-D CAD with or without a saved elevation/cross section camera in your model. The actual call-outs should be given to you by a Structural Engineer or Licensed Architect familiar with the loads and conventions involved. How you draw the detail is less important than having the correct Engineering data from which to draw it with in my opinion.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Hi Scott,

Could you be a little more specific? What do you mean when you say 10' roll up door? 10' wide or 10' high or both. If you could be a bit more specific I might be able to be of some help.

Jim
    Rom 8:31b

What do you need? I assume you need lintel and jamb details. Where are you located and do your local codes call for seismic concerns. I am in Tucson, AZ Our local Codes re: masonry are very similar to California. These probably exceed what you need, but it can't hurt. If applicable, I have what you need.

Chas,

Lintel and jamb details are exactly what I need. I am in Southern Idaho so the seismic issues are not relevant. However I have no exp with CMU's so anything will help. FYI - I intend to note that the lintel needs to be engr'd but it would be nice to be in the ballpark with the details.

Jim,
    For more background my client wants to build a new 20'x40' detatched garage with living quarters above. He wants a stem wall foundation with the first floor constructed of cmu's and the second floor trad. framing. The client specified a large 20' commercial style roll-up garage door. When I got to working up the beams I realized I had no clue how to detail the openings in the cmu floor. No one I know has drawn up a residential building using cmu's so I am really in the dark without help.

Thanks so much for the replies.

The reason I was asking for specifics, is that the details are the least of it, if you are going to use a 20' opening. The lintel must be a beam of substantial size even on an end wall, but if it is on a side wall and carrying both a floor load and a roof load, it will be huge and heavy for a 20' opening. An 8" member will certainly not do it. It will have to be steel, and you will then need probably a 14" to 16" "W" member to carry the loading. Unless you are an engineer, you should not specify anything or detail anything. Rather, let an engineer do that.

I hope this helps feel free to email me if you need more details.

JIm Zieger
    Rom 8:31b

Jim,

Your concern is noted and heeded.

I am actually trying to "show" the client the impracticality of what he desires. However when my client (assuming he will see the light) changes his mind and scales back I will still need the details if Chas is willing to share.

Thanks

I can send the details email if you post it, but if you don't intend on using them. Be assertive and tell your client NO. I have better things to be doing as well.

Chas,

I do need them and I appreciate your time and the help.

shilpert@yahoo.com

Scott

FYI - haven't received any details yet. Any source for them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

FANTASTIC. Thank you.