Hybrid View

Wendy,

I would have to see a picture of what you're trying to do to try to see if I can figure it out over here. I do know there are tricks in the roof designer toolkit to help fix dormers, and they do mostly work, although they are tricky, like the whole "stair railing dies into the wall" thing..

I don't normally do anything that complicated. I'm sort of curious now, if it's something I can figure out.

I usually just BS the walls on the inside for the exterior view, and then use another flavor of BS on them for the interior view if I need one.

Also, since my final product is usually an image, I don't sweat the tricky portions of the model if I know I can edit them out in the image afterwards. That is usually my answer when asked "how in the world did you fix that?". My 3rd place rendering even had two tricky areas I couldn't fix: a piece of wood floating beside the dormer over the roof, and a break in the gable fascia over the main front gable. The solution to removing both was a little PhotoStudio magic. I guess it's the artist in me; when I was in school I used to draw these by eyeball & hand.

I've used the pony walls to create two sidings on one wall (top and bottom) before but have not tried it on the second floor half-story. I'm not sure I would, either, since dormers usually involves pony walls and cutting walls for other purposes. I always use the molding pline for the trim band around the middle or bottom.

If you like you can send me a picture, although I leave tomorrow for a few days to get my rental house a roofing contractor (garage roof leaks like a sieve ). Maybe later I can use my experimental bungalow to try to figure it out. Frankly, I'd like the challenge!
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio