Thread: bow window

bow window

I'm drawing a lake home and on the back of the house i would like to show a bow type window but with no framing, just commercial plate glass sealed at each joint pretty much from floor to ceiling. I've tried the bow window tools and also the curved wall tools, but am not having much luck with getting the look i want. Has anybody done this or have any suggestions as to how it could be drawn in chief. Thanks for any help.
    Ben

You could try framing the window spot with a door opening to get the opening without glass, then use glass material vertical polyline solids to get your butt-joint condition.

Christina

thanks for your help, i bet that will work
    Ben

Have you tried the free symbol from Jay that has a glass to glass joint?

no i haven't, where would i find it?

louis,
    i downloaded the file and unzipped it and i tried putting it in the libraries folder in the ART program files but now can't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help.
    ben

Close Chief, re-open chief and you will get a message about finding an old library file, do you want to convert? Say yes and then look in your library.

is this what you want?

I did this by first creating a new wall type that is 1/4" glass-1" airspace-1/4"glass...then I assigned this to the top of a pony wall....added attic walls above and dragged the glass walls down a bit, then pulled the attic walls down(checked to retain in its dbx)

door with no casing on the interior wall that defines this "room", set the ceiling ht to match the door ht and the bottom of the attic walls I pulled down to the top of the glass...

added pline solids for the trim...
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 09-20-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Louis, I did what you said about adding it to the library then re opening chief and i didn't get any message. I removed the folder from the chief library back to the desktop then tried the whole process again and still didn't get a message. I searched through all the symbols again and still couldn't find anything.

Tim, That pictures is similar to what i'm trying to do i'm going to try that and see what happens.

Thanks everybody for all the help, you are an asset to the chief website and if you're not on the payroll you should be.

Ben

Ben,

Did you place two files in the library folder? The old symbols had two files.

Louis,
    The problem was i was putting the folder with the files in it in the libraries folder but not just the files. I ended up getting it worked out with polyline solids, but haven't had a chance to look at the blocks you recomended.

I placed a door in the exterior wall and supressed casing inside and out then drew all the polylines for the windows in AutoCAD (just my preference) imported them and clicked the magic button to turn them into a poly line solid with tempered glass as the material for my window. The only problem was i had concrete on the floor in my bow so i used another polyline solid for carpet 1/4" thick and turned the lines white for the plan view. The glass ended up completely from floor to ceiling, but for the application i think that will be best anyway.

Thank you to everybody for your help. I would send a pic like everybody else does, but i don't know how. Thanks christina,

Ben