Zero Platform Thickness

I am using CA6. I created a design with 8’ ceilings. After the design was nearly complete (i.e. stairs, floors, ceilings, roofs etc.) I changed to 9’ ceilings. After some work I got it so that everything looked pretty good with 9’ ceilings. I was starting to feel like the master in my relationship with Chief ... and then I noticed the properties window for the top floor rooms showed a platform thickness of 0" with the lost thickness going to a higher ceiling in the rooms below. I don’t know when the 0" thickness problem came into existence. I assume it resulted from changing floor heights but I guess it could have resulted from some other thing I might have done. A cross section shows that the platform thickness really isn’t 0". Instead, it appears to be normal thickness. The joist framing properties window shows proper joist dimensions. The floor default properties window for each floor shows normal platform thickness. I have rebuilt floors and ceilings (and roofs) lots of times.

I have run out of things to try. I will appreciate any suggestions.

Richard:

Check the floor height of the second level:

1. Is it the correct height for the lower ceiling height and floor thickness?

2. Does it show a "d" (for default height) after the number?

Check all of the rooms on the second level.
    If either of the above is not correct just highlite the entire number and press "d". When your done you will need to build floors and ceilings again.

When all else fails you can save, close Chief and re-open or close re-boot and re-open Chief. That can fix most glitches that aren't operator input errors

Good luck

Larry

I just thought of something else. How did you change the ceiling heights. If the change is uniform for a entire floor the way to do it is to reset the default for each level you want to change. If you changed the ceiling height on the lower level by opening the dbx for each room that could be you problem.

[This message has been edited by Larry Kumpost (edited 17 August 2000).]

Larry, Thanks for the response. The answer to your last comment is easy. I didn’t even realize there was a Floor Default dialog box until after I had the problem. Obviously, that is where I should have changed the parameters for an entire floor. I changed each floors dbx instead.

I haven’t fully tested your other suggestions yet. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again, Richard

Larry, I tried many things but never was able to correct the 0" platform thickness problem. Finally, I found a copy of my design before changing ceiling heights. I followed your advice and changed ceiling heights in the Floor Defaults window. That solved the problem. Thanks again.