Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Right Tim! These are an absolute must. I guarantee you it will be money well spent

Dan
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

elCid72

I agree with Dan and Tim about the training CDs. But, if you cannot afford them due to time or dollars my offer stil stands... feel free to call and I will walk you through the roof construction. My number is in an earlier reply to this thread.

Regards,

Ok, I figured out a slick way to do this, I think. Both roofs have to have the same slope, the top plates have to be at the same height, and the overhangs have to be the same. Build the bigger roof first. Build two simple planes for the smaller roof, and have them join at their ridge. Now you have two roofs with a large triangular (in elevation view) gap between them.

Stretch the base line of the smaller roof, keeping it square/rectangular, until that it touches the larger roof. Then stretch the ridge of the smaller roof to approximately the right place. Then do an angular dimension from the side exterior wall to the sloped line, and adjust the end of the ridge until the angle reads exactly 45 degrees. You now have a perfect valley.

What you have done will work but there are much easier ways.

ElCid,

You're on the right track..

Once you have the second roof built, continue by putting a notch in the first roof.

Now connect one side of the second roof.

And then the other.

Your plan should look like this and here's the result.
    Douglas Mosman
    Mosman Design Services LLC

Why do you notch the first roof?

so you can use the join roof tool to automatically connect the valley...

fyi...a roof such as in Doug's illustration can be built automatically in Chief...here's a pic
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 08-12-2004 at 05:40 AM.

Doug, very nice demonstration. Would you give me a demonstration on how you did that demonstration? The way Doug is doing the roof will give you a true valley rafter in the valleys when you build your framing. There is another way to do this and it will give you an over frame situation, which is how it is typically built out in the field because it is much easier. This over built method is okay unless your looking for a vaulted ceiling then you need to frame as Doug has shown. There aren't many people around any more who truly know how to cut in roofs in the old "stick frame" method. I was a lucky one who had someone teach me when I was younger.

Dan
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

There are much easier ways of getting this roof. Tim has shown one way. This roof is easily built automatically. Even if you wanted to build it manually there is a much easier way( I think). It's mostly a different approach. I will try to show. I am buried with work. But I will try to work it in.
    Last edited by louis; 08-12-2004 at 07:10 AM.

Dan,

if you're asking how I created the pictures, I used MWSnap , a screen capture utility, to clip out the Chief views to jpg's. Then I imported the jpgs back into Chief, added the text and clipped them out again.
    Douglas Mosman
    Mosman Design Services LLC