Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roof intersection

Imagine an L-shaped house, each part having a simple gable roof, same roof pitch, same plate height. Each leg of the house is a different width, so the ridges do not meet ... the two roof planes of the leg die into the planes of the main roof. If I haven't confused you, here's the question.

What is the best way to adjust the length of the lower ridge so it ends right where it intersects the other plane? Right now I make a small adjustment in plan view, then look at an elevation, then go back and adjust, etc. There has to be a right way.

If you build the roof the regular way. Then go to plan view and select a roof plane from the bigger roof and see what the ridge top is at and also the fascia top. You will need to open the roof plane dialog box to see this. Then select one of the smaller roof planes you want to raise. Change the ridge height to match the bigger one and lock it. Then tab and set the fascia height to match also. Then do the same thing to the other roof plane you want to raise. Then rebuild roofs and select "retain edited roof planes" Then go to plan view and select each roof plane individually and drag it up to meet the higher ridge

Dan
    Last edited by kernsdan; 08-09-2004 at 06:35 PM.
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Use the "Join Roof Planes" command to bring the edges of the two roof planes together to form a valley. You can get the needed info in Help or the manual.

You might also review the Help section called "Editing Roof Planes".

I would describee it here but the Help file does a better job than I could.

Dan ... I can't do that. The ridges are at two different heights.

Lavor ... does this sound right: finish the first roof, start the second roof, skew one edge to form the valley, then click on "join roof planes"? I use that command to form the ridge, but didn't know it would do a valley.

The book and on-line instructions confuse me. They help, but I have to see it done.

Similar question : Gable roof with 10/12 slope, shed roof for the porch with 3/12 slope. I built the main roof ok. How do I get the porch roof to die into the main roof? If I use the "join roof plane" command, where do I click on the main roof?

elCid72,

Call me at 256 797-2972 and I will walk you through it.

I like the idea of clicking on the higher roof plane to see it's ridge height. Then you can click on the lower plane, hit the shift key and click on the other. When you open up the dialogue box a simple window appears that says raise or lower___.This will boost up both roof planes at the same time. You can alter numerous planes simultaneaously with this method.

By adding x inches to the box, your lower planes will instantly jump to the higher height. And as elCid said, the join roof tools will snap the valleys back into place after you've raised them.

Do you want the ridge at the same height as the long part of the house or do you want them to just intersect?

I understand the two roofs are at different heights. This is how I did it. There is always more than one way to do things. The thing you have to watch is where the fascia top ends up when you change the roof pitch. Otherwise it will not line up with the fascia at the inside corner. When I said to go to plan view and raise the roof planes up to meet the higher ones, what I really meant was to draw the roof planes so they meet at the ridges. This will close up the gap in the roofs after you raise them. After you raise them you need to extend these roof planes to intersect with the high ridge. If you would like to email me I'll will give you my number so we can talk.

Dan

Louis please correct me if I am mistaken.
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Ok, maybe you were a little brief in the first reply. I do just what you said, and that works well. But the part I am having a problem with is getting the lower ridge to die into the plane of the bigger roof, without extending the ridge past the other plane.

I will try to attach a jpg of the house. The lower roof that is on the left needs to die into the main roof, without the lower ridge extending past the plane of the main roof.

There are several other itmes on this plan that are not finished, but for now I am trying to get the roof right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is where you go to plan view and select the dashed roof plane line and drag it over to meet the other roof. Then you will see a smaller roof trianlgle and this is part of the bigger roof. You drag over to the same valleys. This is the more compklicated part to explain. Call me at 720-290-2021 and I will help

Dan
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Look at video #358 I apologize, after rereading your original post, I thought you wanted the ridges at the same height. Not so. Louis caught on to this right away. Video 358 should take care of you.

Thanks

Dan
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Pardon my ignorance ... where do I find video 358?

Video 358 would be in the CD training set, Right Dan? Let's see....CD #3. These are highly recommended if you don't already have them!!
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!