Thread: French door

French door

Take a look at this doors and windows combination, I’m using a fairly thick, but not unrealistic wall, and by messing with all the dialog settings managed to produce units which are close to the outside of the wall. This is taken from a real house by the way, the thickness of the wall allows window sills to be formed, as you can see Two thin bits are left, I don’t need these, anyone know how to fix this.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Little hard to say without knowing what wall & door options you used to get the door to the outside.

One idea might be to create a pony wall for the length of the door & windows where the upper wall is only as thick as the mull between the windows & door.

Alternately, I'm not sure this would work but you could take a cross-section view of the wall and pull down the wall section to the bottom of the windows. Not sure if the windows would stay around though.
    Douglas Mosman
    Mosman Design Services LLC

Jef,

Not sure that this will help you, and you've probably already tried. So with that in mind, I'll throw it out anyway....Have you tried blocking the doors and windows together?

Maybe you can help me....how did you get the door to recess to the outer layer in this picture? I've tried opening the door dbx and go to options then check "Recessed." But I can't get it to do that.
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!

Never mind,

I just figured out how to get the door "recessed." I had the hinge on the interior, so I wasn't getting it to move to the "outside."

Also, I tried the block windows and doors idea, and it didn't work.

Next idea???
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!

Here is one.

Windows & Door with 1 1/2" casing and side rough opening of 3" (1 1/2" each side), mulled together with 2 1/2" separation.

Pony wall, 4" wall over 12" wall, height just below bottom of window trim, extending approx. 4 1/2" beyond the window on each side

Some very tedious work with polyline solids to fill in all the blank bits.
    Douglas Mosman

Hi Jef,

This is an old problem with layered walls.
    First open the window defaults and set min separation to 0.
    Then push everything together and block them. You will now find a new item under sash and frame called mullion depth.
    Set it to a positive number (you will have to play a bit depending on your wall thickness)
    This should fix it.
    Regards,
    Brian Wheatland

It seems the advice from Brian Wheatland is spot on, it works perfectly. Once the mulled window is made, the sash and frame tab brings up mullion depth which in my case was -12 (I’m on metric). Changing this number made no difference, so I left it alone. As a finishing touch I made the Casing width zero, and this allows the inner part of the wall to show without any frame.
    DWMosman your image is great, thanks for all your hard work, however I must refer you to above.
    Tim Schrock thanks for your response, I had the same problem with the doors until I dragged them outside. You can close them again afterwards and it still stays put.
    I had tried a number of approaches before consulting The Talk, even bringing the thing back as a symbol, you have to get the orientation and position of the unit just right, and then edit the wall in plan view… difficult. Brian’s method is the only practical method

The finished result
    Thanks everyone
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

I'm with you Jef. Brian has the right stuff here!

Doug
    Douglas Mosman

one final point, by minimising the casing the raw wall shows properly, but unfortunatey, bits of"wall" tend to show on the ceiling, to fix this put a very thin polyline slab over these bits, make it a thin triangle, and give it the same colour as the ceiling.