Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Wow!

It's amazing to me that this thread is as active as it is!

Here's the bottom line;

It's against the law to use the word architect or architectural, if you are not a licensed architect. Period. Regardless of what we do and how good or bad we do it.

[color=green]"think smart, think creative, think outside the box.."[/color]
    Last edited by JEFFH; 07-02-2004 at 07:54 AM.
    Jeffrey M. Housley
    AIBD Professional Building Designer
    JMH Designs
    (301) 997-0255 Fax: (301) 997-0253
    [size=2][color=blue]Click here to visit JMH DESIGNS website[/color]
    [/size]

E-Mail me at:[color=blue]JMH@jmhdesigns.com[/color]

Design/Build

Dennis Gavin,

I can't help but notice that you must be a NARI member. Simply out of curiosity, where did you learn about design/build? I've been researching that and like what I see so far. I'm a designer working for contractors. It's working well for the homeowners!
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!

Architectual is a generic word that no one can own. Where I work I tell people right up front that I am not an Architecht. Mostly they breathe a sigh of relief. That attitude amoung homeowners has nothing to do with me, and is none of my making.

I know alot of what I do by watching what they do, but not repeating thier biggest mistake which is that most of them have a reputation as unrealistic and are ego driven.

Contractors have a bad reputation too, and alot of homeowners look to us (designers, many of whom come from construction backgrounds) as a bridge between "egghead" and "bonehead".

I have spent 20 years running a Design/Build company and the reason I started design is that 4 out of 5 plans I got from Architechts ended up in the garbage. I guess that would make them garbage. There is a word for that: Malpractice!

Lets face it if some one spends 10 years in training for designing the average or even above average house or addition they must certainly have been at the bottom of their class.

It's not rocket science and almost anyone with a desire and a little talent can do just fine!

Originally posted by Doug Friesen
    Architectual is a generic word that no one can own.
    I don't think anyone would WANT to own this "word".

snip
    Lets face it if some one spends 10 years in training for designing the average or even above average house or addition they must certainly have been at the bottom of their class.
    Interesting. After almost 30 years of training, education, and experience, I still find designing residences and additions to be one of the most challenging and difficult activities I could ever imagine. And I graduated at the top of my architecture class.

Designing square footage is easy.
    Last edited by RMorrison; 07-02-2004 at 12:00 PM.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Sorry about the lousy spelling and typing. I was not trying to turn this into a personal vendetta. Just as Contractors have to live with thier reputation, so do Architects. You fed it, it's yours.

I just looked at a stunning Japanese house where every texture, view, lanscape, corner was intensly designed, by an ARCHITECT! I would not try to attempt that. But if I had the 10 years training I would!

I design charming, historically accurate (as much as possible) New England style houses and additions in a residential market where 90% of what goes up is BS. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel. The best I can do is to be as good as the best of whats's been here for 350 years, and update it for modern lifestyles.

Very few have the experience and knowlege I have spent a lifetime earning, alot of it in the trenches.

Homeowners love my practicality, keen sense of desgn, and my attention to their BUDGET. I do this efficiently, promptly and for a fraction of what most Architects charge, and make a very good living at it too!

The marketplace decides what is right, and demand for people like me is extremely high.

By the way I'm sure yoiu're very good at what you do also.....

Richard,

"Designing square footage is easy."

Right on! I don't like square footage for its own sake either.

Doug,

"The best I can do is to be as good as the best of whats's been here for 350 years, and update it for modern lifestyles."

I'm with you there, except here on the west coast the best has only been here a little over a hundred years. If only the new houseing developments here had the quality siding my "cheap" 1948 ranch home has had for 56 years.

BTW, the only reason I'm not an "architect" today is because I couldn't afford to go to college five or six years to be one.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

I want to thank Josh for starting this thread. Before Josh posted, I thought of the term "Architectural" as being descriptive (adj.), as opposed to structural, mechanical, electrical, and so on. I was not aware of the law, and have been guilty of using the term "architectural renderings". I do not want to break the law, or furthermore misrepresent myself. In fact, I have on several occasions received a call from a potential client stating that they were looking for an Architect to draw their plans. I emphatically reply "I AM NOT AN ARCHITECT". I understand why the law exists, because the average consumer occasionally may assume that people who draw plans are "Architects". I used to think they were trying to set me up. I no longer think so.

Again, I want to thank Josh for keeping my rear end out of hot water. And, I have spread the word to others.

Thanks Josh,

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 07-02-2004 at 04:21 PM.

mthd is offline Registered User Promoted
    In Australia we have 2 main types of homes- project homes & architecturally designed homes. Credit to the architects; alot of work in design is put into these architecturally designed homes. They depart quite a distance from the ordinary builder's project home. A lot of wealthier people want the practices of architects to design their homes & extensions because they know they will get something quite creative & a departure from the normal project home. The many years they spend training they develop the creative design side of their talents & if they are good at it they do very well & deserve to be paid extra for their time & effort put in to a complex design, that of course can actually be built according to the depth of the pocket of the wealthier client. We building designers- which I am happy to be called- don't get as much training on developing the artistic designing side of our brains which we would all like to do. I don't get paid enough to spend the time designing a departure from the project home, altnough I've done this a few times & know that you need to pay more than just the plans. Most likely double or more. Congratulations to any architect who gets his complex designs actually built within the budget of their clients. I am happy to be a residential building designer but would love to have more clients who could afford to pay me for designing a home that is a departure from a project home, since I would find this more fulfilling. I would like to be recognised as an architectural home designer that goes beyond project homes & there should be a course or some allowance in the system for us to be called this since going into medium & high rise construction is a waste of time for me because I'm not interested in that area since the architect's course makes you do everything- not just houses. With a 2 to 3 year course, why not become a master at resedential design than be a jack-of-all- trades (or designs) & a master of none? I don't expect any legislation to change any of the legal system to allow people like me to be called Architectural Home Designers. So I'm happy with being a building designer. Regards to all building designers & architects who use Chief Architect as a vehicle to acheive their design.

Jason,

FYI... A friend of mine (still drafting my former employer's firm) never finished college. He's working towards the time requirement to qualify as a candidate for the exam. Each state will vary in their requirements, but a college education is not mandatory. The "apprenticeship" or *internship* as they now call it, would have to be somewhere near twelve years of employment under a licensed architect. NCARB has their own web site and can tell more about the process for anyone who might be interested.

mthd is offline Registered User Promoted
    what is NCARB, Is it like the BDA "Building Designers Association" that we have in Australia ? In reply to V Hampton.

I would consider working under an architect, but twelve years is a long time to work anywhere. Things change too fast these days. Architects generally don't work where I want to live, though. I'm tired of the mega-giganta-hugic-megatropolis (and that's just what I think of the Portland, OR area, not to mention NY, NY or Seattle).

The other problem with that is that under an architect I probably would not be allowed to design my own homes, even though architects usually design above 2500 square feet and I usually design less than 2500 square feet. Design is one of the things I really enjoy and I'm not giving it up. In Oregon I am allowed to design a house up to two stories and probably 4000 square feet without being an architect.

So I'm a "independent contractor drafting technician" until a load of money for college gets dropped on me, which will probably be never. As long as I make enough to pay the bills, though, I'm OK.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

jwrjr is offline Registered User Promoted
    Its like I've said before; it doesn't take or require an "architect" to design a basic home. Anyone who spends that kind of money on the plans needs to come see me for construction. :-)

They obviously have more money than they know what to do with.

By the way; the last time I ordered shingles, I had to say " I want the ones that look a little like shakes with the ridges and shadows and what-not". All of that was to avoid saying the ever-precious word "Architectural" to describe the shingles. Lighten up guys. I know you study for years to earn the title of architect. But I've yet to see one that can do more than I on a standard house. And most have provided Sh****y plans that aren't good enough to put on the roll in the bathroom.

Hate to say it but its true. Sorry if I offended anyone. I can only speak from experience.

to everyone,

I started this thread as a warning, not to be vindictive or nasty

I think that there should be a place for everyone including those of us without degress in architecture

we have all seen nightmares designed by those with or wthout degrees, the majority that I have seen are those without

many of us "designers" I bet owe a lot of thanks to architects who have helped us at this site, and I hope they continue to help us

we also owe thanks to builders that help, with ideas too

and true designers that have helped the earliest fledglings at this site as well as those of you how have admitted that htis is all just a hobby and toy

to all the architects, designers, builders and CA helpers , thank you

NOW LET ALL OF US LET THIS THREAD DIE