Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-Release 9.53 Update Available!

ART is pre-releasing this 9.53 update to the Chief Users Group.
    This new update has been designed to service all released versions of 9.5 so you only need one download to keep all your versions up to date.
    Since this is a new type of update for us we would like some feedback from our users on how well this update works. Please post any comments about this update on this thread or send them to me at: dan@chiefarchitect.com
    This update will apply with minimal user intervention. If you get any errors please do not hesitate to contact technical support.
    A couple of points...one is that access to the announcements forum is restricted, so responding to the thread there is not possible

the other is the patch...it is considerably larger (nearly 3 times the size as the 9.5 -9.52 patch) than previous patches...is this due to it being for all varieties of 9.5? This is a pain for those of us who may only have access to a less than reliable and slow connect....

the next is the patch itself...I do not install to a default C: drive location but instead place Chief on a seperate partition all to itself..the "automatic" feature can not find it and there is no browse to option ...it simply says it there is a registry error and the old file does not exist and closes down...without patching anything...

I did get the patch to apply by placing it in the Chief folder on the partition it is installed to...although even then I got the error message about the registry error, when I closed that dbx the patch did run and install to update 9.52-9.53

Registry/ini error.

Oops, I guess I should have suggested we respond in this forum instead since the announcement forum is restricted.

The new update does find your custom install location by reading the registry. We have tested this in house for custom installation directories on various partitions.

The reason you are getting this error is because the registry entry was deleted or not created by installing chief from the cd. You could get into this situation by copying chief from one computer to another or by deleting the key from the registry.

I would like to know of any other cases that get the "misisng registry/ini" error when they install Chief.

You can correct this problem by reinstalling 9.5 from the installation media to your custom location.

This new update is larger than past updates because it contains all the updates. The single 9.52 - 9.53 update is 900 kb by itself. This is due to the large number of changes that have gone into 9.53 This compares to 700kb for just the 95-952 update. The total size for the History update which works with any version is 1.43 mb which is a little over 1 1/2 times the size of the 9.52-9.53 update.

The 9.52-9.53 update has not been posted to the internet but if there is a good reason to do this I will make it available.

Thanks for the feedback. Anytime we have customers report problems like this it helps us make the product better.

Dan Park,
    Technical Support Coordinator,
    Advanced Relational Technology

Chief 9.53 update

oops, i posted to the othe site before reading this post, i have just downloaded and installed the update and i also have chief installed to its own folder and not the recomended by computer and it installed beautifully, no problem. thanks guy's, phil stover
    phil

No problem on update from 9.52 to 9.53 on a laptop (partition drive) and a desktop (non-partition).

Fundamental question that needs to be answered:
    What does 9.53 fix with respect to 9.52????

Thanks,
    Don

What does 9.53 fix?

We are currently working on a list of the items fixed in 9.53.

We will post it as soon as it becomes available.

Dan Park,

Well downloaded the patch and no install .
    Cheif is NOT installed to custome directory ("C:\Program Files\ART Inc\Chief Architect 95 Full Version\Chief Architect 95 Full.exe").

Missing or Invalid Registry/INI Entry

then

Old File does not exist.

I have 9.5 and patched to 9.52

??? Any clues..

Thanks in advance

David
    David Noble
    Commonwealth Designs
    Ph: 678-562-2124
    Fax: 678-935-0451
    david@cwdesigners.net

I Downloaded it & Wooked perfectly!!!!!!!

Well had to reinstall back to 9.5 I guess going from 9.52 it did not like it. After the reinstall to just 9.5 the 9.53 patch worked.

If you get that error you could probably do a regristry "hack" and insert a "string value" and enter in the location of the installed 9.5. Just a thought.

Dan any thoughts on doing that for the fix on the "misisng registry/ini" error ?
    Should work if you install to locations other thatn c:

David
    David Noble
    Commonwealth Designs
    Ph: 678-562-2124
    Fax: 678-935-0451
    david@cwdesigners.net

so where do I get it? Or is it only for certain members?

Dennis Gavin
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Dennis,
    Go to "announcements" for the link to the patch.
    Jim

Clean install for me. shane

Well had to reinstall back to 9.5 I guess going from 9.52 it did not like it. After the reinstall to just 9.5 the 9.53 patch worked.
    If you get that error you could probably do a regristry "hack" and insert a "string value" and enter in the location of the installed 9.5. Just a thought
    Dan any thoughts on doing that for the fix on the "misisng registry/ini" error ?
    Should work if you install to locations other thatn c:
    David,

As the patch did run w/o the missing registry value when placed in the folder with the executible, and although there were/are a myriad of registry entries in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS (including some for install location??) that point to the correct location (I have it installed at this address on my system... F:\Chief 95full)....I felt there was no need to reinstall or mess with the registry...which is mainly why I posted initially, so others who might encounter the error message, might also try the solution of putting the patch into their Chief folder and then running it...

After I installed the Patch everything was smooth untill the First Drawing Crashed !

Opened plan walked away from it for a couple of hours later came back moved a wall in a 45d corner of a closet and Microsoft Visual c+++ Asertion error poped up
    You can Find me on http://www.facebook.com/RickThomas100
    Thank GOD for Avatars ! So ugly people can hide behind them ! LOL
    Computer User since Atari 400
    AutoCad 9.0 to 2012 till Chief Came along.
    Chief User Since Version 4.0
    Building New Homes for 35 years.
    Don't let anybody fool you ! A home builder with CAD under his belt that actually uses a hammer and computer will run circles around the Desk jockey's playing with their mouse.

Assertion errors

Please call technical support (208) 666-0518 or send email to technical support via the web site any time you get an assertion error.

Also include in the report the text of the assertion. Most important in an assert in the .cpp file and the line number. That gives us a way to track the problem and fix it. Without the assertion error there is no way that we can even guess what is going on here.

We are currently changing the new history patch to search the local hard drives. We discovered that there is a particular case where the registry entry is missing even when intalled correctly.

This should be available soon.

Dan Park,

9.53 update

9.52 to 9.53 w/ winxp no problems!