Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree, I just posted the same question in both, not knowing who is looking where.
    Jason Parsons
    Design Build Pros

jparsons@designbuildpros.com

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600k
    OC to 4.7 GHz
    Dual GTX 580 Video-SLI
    Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
    16 GB DDR3 ram 1866
    128 GB SSD
    Win 7 Pro-64 Bit
    X-5

Well the stated reasons all have to do with making life easier for them - so I guess the folks who actually USE the forum for the forums intended purpose don't matter so much.

And another thing I have noticed with many of the various forum "upgrades" I have encountered is the increasing use of white space for no apparent reason with the result is there is a good deal less information per screen.

This is a good thing how?
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

I totally understand what everyone is saying here.

First, I will say this again, one year is a date that is not set in stone. If we feel there is a lot of value at the end of one year we can consider an extension.

The goal here is to provide a single sign on experience. That was not possible with Vbulletin.

There are some serious security reasons as well. You may notice the new site is 100% https.

Vbulletin has never been able to effectively prevent spammers and hackers.

The new forum should effectively put up a huge road block to that problem. Since we now write and maintain the signup code, we can assure your data is much more secure than software where the source code is public.

I am not happy that we had to make this transition either. It's not something we take lightly. However, it has to be done.

We need to identify the best items on this site and make them available on the new forum or in another format, such as help articles.

None of us want to loose the content available on this site. So long as it continues to provide good value to our users we will continue to provide access.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park View Post
    I totally understand what everyone is saying here.

First, I will say this again, one year is a date that is not set in stone. If we feel there is a lot of value at the end of one year we can consider an extension.

The goal here is to provide a single sign on experience. That was not possible with Vbulletin.

There are some serious security reasons as well. You may notice the new site is 100% https.

Vbulletin has never been able to effectively prevent spammers and hackers.

The new forum should effectively put up a huge road block to that problem. Since we now write and maintain the signup code, we can assure your data is much more secure than software where the source code is public.

I am not happy that we had to make this transition either. It's not something we take lightly. However, it has to be done.

We need to identify the best items on this site and make them available on the new forum or in another format, such as help articles.

None of us want to loose the content available on this site. So long as it continues to provide good value to our users we will continue to provide access.
    Hey Dan, I get it, you guys definitely have your reasons, but there are a few navigational issues that should be solved if possible.

1. Newest posts on top of window
    2. An easier way to attach attachments, I just tried with a new post and also a post I was editing and I did not see the ADD ATTACHMENT OPTION. I had to start a new REPLY, maybe I am missing something..... whatever, I could not find it.

BTW, is this CA's forum format you guys created or are you guys using something akin to vbulletin that I assume is an OOB program that you guys bought off the shelf, just curious.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

REALLY appreciate your response Dan! I know my words are easy to type but really, it's great to have an explanation and to know you are indeed solving a problem that could jeopardize some part of your business. Thanks for taking the time.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

REALLY appreciate your response too Dan! Should have known there was a good reason.

Am I missing something but there appears to be no link on the web page to the new forum. It links to this one then we go through the green box.
    I would like to be able to just click a link and have the forum available to read just like now. If I have to log in every time I would not use it as frequently.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

You should post that on the new forum

Although I'm not certain ChiefTalk can be compared at the same level as the Library of Alexandria.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    And another thing I have noticed with many of the various forum "upgrades" I have encountered is the increasing use of white space for no apparent reason with the result is there is a good deal less information per screen.
    I couldn't agree more about the "white space" - a total waste of space! :-)

I'll mention a couple of other things about the new board while I'm here.
    How do you delete a post that you have posted?
    Why doesn't the "View First Unread" button become available at ALL times when there are unread posts in a thread?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I don't like the extra white space either.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

"The goal here is to provide a single sign on experience. That was not possible with Vbulletin."
    Dan, I don't like to use my login information from the digital locker to login to the forum. I don't understand the risk, that's why I'm not comfortable.
    Ash Shaker
    Architect
    Ash Tree Architecture
    Elkridge, MD, USA
    CA X5

OK ... for some reason I am able to access the new forum now. I turned down my security level one notch ... maybe that is what did it?

Went through and read the 4 pages of Q&A top see what I was missing. Now I am trying to figure out what it takes to become a participant on the new forum.

When I click on "Create Account" I am just directed to the new forum's home page ... same goes for when I click on "Sign In". Next, I went to Announcements and clicked on the thread for the new forumn, then I clicked on the "user handle" link but again the new forum's home page opens but I am obviously restricted as a viewer only and have no ability to start a new thread, post on an existing thread, view the forum members by clicking on that tab, etc.

So, what is the secret to getting a user handle, signing in, creating an account (if I need to do that) and be a "functioning" member of the forum. I apparently only have two-weeks to get this sorted out or I am going to get flushed into Lake Coeur d'Alene and be gone forever (not that anyone would miss me ... but I would miss everyone else).

Help!!!! Thanks.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I don't see a single sign on as being a good thing.

If you think VBulletin is not secure enough, fine, change out the front end - you don't need to toss the whole thing.

And even if you want to have your own code base (that's fine too) don't change the current appearance just for the sake of change - change it because WE complained about something.

Frankly I don't care what your developers think of the site, they don't have to use it, WE do, and WE buy your products not your developers.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    I don't see a single sign on as being a good thing.

If you think VBulletin is not secure enough, fine, change out the front end - you don't need to toss the whole thing.

And even if you want to have your own code base (that's fine too) don't change the current appearance just for the sake of change - change it because WE complained about something.

Frankly I don't care what your developers think of the site, they don't have to use it, WE do, and WE buy your products not your developers.
    Fred, you are fighting a losing battle. Come join the dark side and help us make it better, better, better, ( think Beatles )
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall