Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Plant Symbol Conundrum

Okay, I want more plant cad blocks for my plant symbols. I want these symbols to have a fill and I want to be able to control the color and the line weight of these plant symbols via the layer.

I created four different cad blocks that I can use with my plants. Will these cad blocks when associated with a plant give me a symbol that not only has the fill but where I can control the line weight and color via the layer?

Yes and no, I was able to do it on only one symbol. I have attached the plan if anybody wants a go at this. I did a ten minute video that I will attach when done to explain the process I have gone through.

Here is the vid.

http://youtu.be/_Je7rOiA3QI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLANT SYMBOL JPEG.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	62565  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

The video is still cooking so I haven't seen it yet but here's what I've previously asked CA to do:

Make it possible for the Sub-Items in a Block to display (at their own Line Weights, Colors and Layers) even if the Block's Layer is off.

If that is done, then what you want to do would be easy. I know it can be done because that's the way some 2D CAD programs worked.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe, the mystery to me is in one example I was able to get what I want, but I don't know how I did it and I don't know why I can't do it again.

Yeah, let's shoot for golf next Thursday.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,
    Do you have these preferences turned on.

Name:	by object2.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	62571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	by object.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	62570  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Quote Originally Posted by kenoeightspot View Post
    Scott,
    Do you have these preferences turned on.
    Yes, it is set the same as yours. Are you able to create a cad block for a symbol that does have a fill yet the line weight and color can be controlled by layer?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Yes, but if by Layer then I only get one color and line wt. . If by object I can get two or more colors and 2 or more line wt.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    4.00 GB
    27" HDMI monitor

I see what you are talking about. I can control the "Cad Block" by layer or object, but when it is associated with the plant symbol it reverts to by object, which is fine but is not controlled
    by layers unless you check " Use image settings". I have been using "Block settings"

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    4.00 GB
    27" HDMI monitor

Bill, I swear I am going nutty. Please look at this plan. Note the plant symbol is on the plant layer. I CAN NOT control the line type of the plan via the plant layer, but I CAN control it by the cad layer. That does not make sense does it?

On the original plan I posted, the good plant symbol I can control via the plant layer. This makes sense to me.

Are you seeing the same thing as I? I hope this isn't mac thing.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Bill, if you can open the plan and control the line style of the plant via the plant layer, please save it and repost so I can take a look, thanks.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

See my revised post above, you are nutty just not on this issue.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    4.00 GB
    27" HDMI monitor

I see what you are talking about. I can control the "Cad Block" by layer or object, but when it is associated with the plant symbol it reverts to by object, which is fine but is not controlled
    by layers unless you check " Use image settings". I have been using "Block settings"
    So you now see that I am not getting what I want. But please note the symbol in the very first plan I posted....... I do get what I want with that one...... can you explain this? I can't.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Is this what you wanted.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    4.00 GB
    27" HDMI monitor

Is this what you wanted.
    Nope, your plant does not have a fill. My plant does have a fill.
    How did I do that? I do not know.
    Can I do it again? Not yet.

Name:	BILLS FILL SHOT.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	62580  
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Both plants have fill, just white. I am off to my booth at the Seattle home show.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    4.00 GB
    27" HDMI monitor

Both plants have fill, just white. I am off to my booth at the Seattle home show.
    Bill, the plant in the circle does not have fill. Move it over to the gray shaded area and see if it covers up the grey fill, it does not, it does not have a fill.

If you can make the cad block that you just used as having fill, I am not impressed, I have already done that.

Try getting YOUR plant in the grey fill (the bill's plant does not have a fill ) plant to have a fill. I have supplied the cad block, it seems that we can use that cad block for a plant and it should have the fill.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX