Thread: Crosshairs?

Crosshairs?

When I select any object the crosshairs change to show all possible angles I can move the object? I liked it the old way where it just stayed as a crosshair, is there a setting I can adjust. Otherwise I running X6 thru its paces and so far it's great although the speed on raytrace is not so impressive.
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    User since Ver 3 ! (not X3) -X6
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    (2) 27" ASUS monitors (1) 32" LED TV

Sal:

Turn on (click on) the Angle Snaps tool and the icon should go away.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Sal:

Regarding your ray trace speed, search the forums as there are probably some settings you need to change to improve your RT speed. I find it works fairly quickly on my setup.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks Curt, that did it.
    I should be able to increase Raytrace speed by turning of some unseen fixtures and so on, I will need to do a little homework on it.
    Thanks again
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Sal:

If you have a plan you want me to test for you as a comparison, I would be happy to do it. I would need all your ray trace settings for an accurate comparison. I am sure others on the forum would be happy to provide you with a comparison as well. Your call.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Curt: I converted the file to X6 is that OK? also I can not figure out how to attached the plan file any help
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Sal:

If we are both comparing X6 ray traces, then I don't think it matters if it was created in an earlier version, unless there are problems with the plan. If the plan isn't too big you may be able to post it here on Chief Talk. First, you will need to save the plan. At this point there are two ways to go: 1. Create a backup of the entire plan including all the textures that go with it; 2. Create a backup of the plan without all the textures (I think this is the same as just sending your plan by selecting the plan file). Once that is done, close the plan in Chief (you can leave Chief open), navigate to where the plan (or backup plan folder) is stored in My Doc's or wherever you have it, right click on it and the click on send to compressed folder (or something similar to this). This will create a new compressed folder of your plan with the compression icon shown on the folder. Then, back in ChiefTalk, click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom right, then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and click on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ManageAttachments.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	62560

This will (should) open a new dialog called File Upload Mangager. For some reason when I click on that, the dialog flashes on my screen but then disappears. I use FireFox and I then have to click on the dialog (it is still there ... just reduced to an icon on my task bar as a second FireFox window) in my FireFox task bar to open it.

Name:	FileUploadMngr.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	62561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FileUploadMngr2.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	62562

Then do as follows: Add Files (upper right) > Browse (in popup box ... navigate to your compressed plan file) > Upload (this may take a little time ... eventually a populated box for your uploaded file shows up on the bottom lower left when it is done uploading ... see my 2nd & 3rd images above) > Insert Inline (this places your compressed plan folder wherever your cursor is within the ChiefTalk message box - you may want to reposition it within that box) > Done. If the file isn't two big, you'll be able to attach it within ChiefTalk. If it is bigger than 2 Megs or whatever the max. size limit is for ChiefTalk, then you'll have to use some other method such as DropBox which has a free subscription for users who don't need a lot of space because of infrequent use. You would actually be posting a DropBox link to your plan file stored in the cloud at DropBox's server wherever it is located. You can find instructions on how to use it on their website. There may be some videos on using DropBox that you can find here on ChiefTalk by doing a search.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Curt
    The file is 3 mb so I sent it to dropbox https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dle%20Lane.zip
    Let me know if ok thanks
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Sal:

File worked just fine. I see you have several roof planes that aren't properly joined.

What do you want me to ray trace and what settings do you want me to use for the ray trace. Perhaps you could do one first and post the ray trace image here along with snapshots of your settings in the dialog. Make sure to take a snapshot of the camera dialog so I can see its location, elevation, angle etc. Just select the camera in plan and open the dbx ... then you can use the snipit capture tool to get an image of the dbx to post here on the forum. That'l give you a little practice with posting images if you haven't done much of that before.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Name:	Revised front view.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	62569Curt
    I know some of the roof planes need to be tweaked which I am fixing as I go. I used the default X6 settings just to see what it would give me and it was at 76 hours when my computer decided to an update and restart. I did however save an image at 20 hours see attached. The drawing IMO is not loaded up with textures, fixtures, furniture that I can see would cause slowness. My system is brand new and screaming fast so there should be a setting in Chief that I have to consider changing I assume
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Sal:

Here's my initial RT without monkeying with any settings.

Name:	RayTr5Passes_2min22sec.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	62574

My ambient daytime lighting was way down. The RT time was 2 min. 22 sec.s for 5 passes without changing anything to make the image look better.

Here's another one I did with some changes in settings [turned off almost all the lights in the plan; daytime ambient @ 50%, and ray trace lighting changes as shown in the 2nd image below].

Name:	RayTr5PassesLightingChgd.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	62577 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTLightgSettings.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	62578

The RT time this time was 4:18. This image looks a little washed out IMO. Your's looks much nicer. I am not the greatest ray tracer and it often takes me a lot of trial and error before I am "sort of" happy with the results. My camera angle and position is different than yours. I see the windows in mine are changed from when you did yours. I had the light in the stairs turned on but didn't get the lighting effect in the circular window that you did. Maybe I needed to change the time of day to either earlier or darker. But our shaddows off the eaves etc. are comparable so I am not sure why that round window isn't showing some lighting in it.

Here's my preferences settings for renders and ray traces ... I am not sure if I have changed any of these or they are the default settings.

Name:	Preferences-MyRenderSettings.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	62581 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preferences-MyRayTraceSettings.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	62582

I hope this info helps you. I need to get some of my own work done now.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    Sal:

Turn on (click on) the Angle Snaps tool and the icon should go away.
    Curt, I don't think that Sal is talking about the cursor icon, he is talking about the Angle Snap Grid.
    Your solution will indeed not display the Angle Snap Grid, but only because it turns off Angle Snaps - and this may not be desired.

You can turn off the display of the Angle Snap Grid permanently BUT leave Angle Snaps toggle on (and not display the Angle Snap Grid) by going Preferences...Edit...Snap Properties...Snap Indicators...Display Angle Snap Grid.
    ie., by using this toggle, the display of the Angle Snap Grid is not dependent on the state of the Angle Snap toggle - with your solution, it is.

Make sense?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Nice thanks for sharing i will share it with my friends.