Chief 7.0 in Win7 Hasp4 drivers

Hi all.

New to the forum but not Chief. I'm trying to get my Chief 7.0 to work in a new Win 7 install. The program installs fine, (using the compatibility mode) but I can't seem to get the Hasp4 drivers to work. I have old Hasp drivers, (4.70 & 5.22) and have also tried the newer Sentinel drivers, (as advised here) but Chief does not recognize the dongle. Any help, suggestions, (other that upgrade...LOL) or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Paul

Nope, it won't work. Was going to post a link to a thread demonstrating it, but there are several...you can do a search if interested in more info. But you basically got it right...software installs fine, but hardware lock won't work no matter what drivers you find.

Only other thought is if you haven't upgraded the software you can see if Chief will change it to a password version, which will work. But they may not since it is old and not supported, or there will be a support fee involved? total guess on Chief's support though.

Good luck.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

I have Chief Architect version 7 (dongle version) running but within XP 32 on a separate hard drive. As Ben has said, it is not compatible with Windows 7 or 8. It runs reasonably well in XP 32.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Palmer View Post
    Nope, it won't work. Was going to post a link to a thread demonstrating it, but there are several...you can do a search if interested in more info. But you basically got it right...software installs fine, but hardware lock won't work no matter what drivers you find.

Only other thought is if you haven't upgraded the software you can see if Chief will change it to a password version, which will work. But they may not since it is old and not supported, or there will be a support fee involved? total guess on Chief's support though.

Good luck.
    Thanks Ben. Kind of what I figured. I'll contact support but I'm betting it will cost.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    I have Chief Architect version 7 (dongle version) running but within XP 32 on a separate hard drive. As Ben has said, it is not compatible with Windows 7 or 8. It runs reasonably well in XP 32.

DJP
    Yeah, I've been running it for years on XP successfully. I really wanted to get everything moved over to Win7 Pro. I wonder if the dongle would work under Win7 32bit? Thanks.

Paul

I wonder if the dongle would work under Win7 32bit? Thanks.
    No, been there, done (tried) that, no workey. I also tried the XP emulator in Windows 7 - no go.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Don't know about old Chief versions but I had a similar experience with my old AutoCAD when I upgraded to Win 7 from XP. The program seemed to install fine but when I went to run it I got an error message of some sort and then the program would just close. Since I wanted to be able to run AutoCAD too I ended up going to a dual boot setup where I can choose to start the computer in Windows 7 or in an "Earlier Version of Windows" (Windows XP). Seems to work just fine but of course you have to reboot to go from one OS to the other.
    My Homebuilt Rig:
    Intel DZ77GA-70K Extreme MB with Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU @ 3.5GHz
    Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series AX750
    Applications Drive – Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD
    Data Drive – Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB
    Memory – Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Video - NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5
    Monitors - 2 Dell U3014 30”

My Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    CA X6 Build: 16.1.1.9x64
    Home Designer Pro 2014
    SolidWorks 2012-2013-2014
    AutoCAD 2005–2006

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    No, been there, done (tried) that, no workey. I also tried the XP emulator in Windows 7 - no go.

DJP
    Thanks David.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Winsor View Post
    Don't know about old Chief versions but I had a similar experience with my old AutoCAD when I upgraded to Win 7 from XP. The program seemed to install fine but when I went to run it I got an error message of some sort and then the program would just close. Since I wanted to be able to run AutoCAD too I ended up going to a dual boot setup where I can choose to start the computer in Windows 7 or in an "Earlier Version of Windows" (Windows XP). Seems to work just fine but of course you have to reboot to go from one OS to the other.
    Hi Rich. Yeah, I'm fighting that as well. There's a converter program called Longbow that has had success in making old ACAD run on Win7. After spending 1½ hours on the phone with their tech guy I'm still out in the cold. Looking more and more like I may have to do a dual boot with XP in order to run both Chief and ACAD.

Paul