Thread: Baseline height

Hybrid View

I think the attached images will add visual confirmation to the information given to you already. The model I used had 2 x 10 (9-1/4") rafters, 2 x 6 (5-1/2") walls and an 8:12 roof pitch. As Gerry indicated, Chief calculates the birdsmouth automatically. If there had been no birdsmouth, the heel height would have been 11-1/8". Since there is a birdsmouth, the actual heel height is 7-7/16", making the birdsmouth cut 3-11/16".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baseline-RafterBirdsmouth.JPG 
Views:	1860 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	62509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baseline-RoofPlaneSpecDbx.JPG 
Views:	569 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	62510 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoofFraming3DOverview.JPG 
Views:	454 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	62513

There's some good explanations in Help (F1) that do a decent job of explaining how roof planes function and can be manipulated to get the results you need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaselineHelpInfo.JPG 
Views:	777 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	62511 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoofPlane3DOrientation.JPG 
Views:	474 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	62512

Check out the Roof Plane Specification Dialog section for additional information besides what is shown in these last two images.

Hope these visuals help you with your roof planes. If you ever get a project where you are having trouble getting all your roof planes joined correctly, it is very helpful to tile a 3D overview along side your plan view such that you can use one or the other as you work.

Also keep in mind that Chief can do most of your roof plane building for you if you select the individual walls, go to the roof plane tab, and set the properties of the roof planes bearing on each wall. You may still have to do a little editing on some roofs but I find it very helpful to let Chief do all or most of the work and I cleanup any problem areas.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard