Lin is offline Registered User Promoted

Question Laptops and system requirements - some questions

I have successfully used X5 on my laptop, but with the new X6, my laptop no longer works. I know it is my video card. Recently, I ordered a new HP Envy (with Nvidea), but had to send it back because the touch pad was a nightmare -- I think they are trying to mimic the large, single Apple touch pads (but not successfully) -- and it was not working properly anyway with severe lag and jerkiness and "clicking" needed a lot of pressure.

I absolutely need to be able to use Chief on a laptop -- desktop will not work for me for many different reasons.

My questions is -- is anyone here having success on their laptops with the new X6, and if so, what laptop are you using? And what processor and video card do you have on it, and what touch pad does it have?

Would very much appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks!!!
    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
    Intel Core i7-2820QM
    CPU @ 2.30GHZ 2.30 GHZ
    8 GB Ram
    64-bit OS

The better question is, "What's your budget?" Then you find suitable hardware within a budget.

I use an ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) laptop, as do a few others on this forum. However, Digital Storm, Alienware, MSI, etc., etc., etc., make very capable off-the-shelf gamer systems. If you're set on HP, Dell, or some other "office" computer company, then don't buy off-the-shelf. HP, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Boxx, and Dell make exceptional mobile workstations. You'll need to contact these companies direct to price a machine.

Then there are "custom" builders like Sager and Puget... Lots of possibilities. Like I said, "What's your budget?"

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

I hate Touchpads so I take a mouse with me

did you play with the control panel settings for the touchpad ?

Jon gave good advice - find best gaming laptop you can afford

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I just purchased a Dell Precision M4700. My computer guy checked out CA and said it would work really well. I was pretty expensive at @ 1800.00.
    Let me know and I can send you the configuration we used.

I've been using laptops exclusively for a while now, the Sager listed in sig is fine, have not tried 6 on the Dell but certain it would not be as good, the quadriceps cards are supposedly less effective with CA.
    Sager was about $2k, could have gotten away for a little less. Picked them over others partly for customization, partly for some of the ports I needed (estate and DisplayPort)
    I bought from Sager directly but next time would shop at Xotic even if I wanted another Sager.
    Mark McAniff, Highland, NY

X5 Interiors
    Sager NP9150 Win8, i7 3840-2.8, GTX 670MX 3GB, 16GB DDR3, 256 mSSD, 500HDD
    Dell M4500 Win7 Pro-64, i7 M620, Quadro FX 880M, 8GB

MarkJames & Co. Designers of fine kitchens, baths, and built-ins.
    www.markjames.co

Thanks for all your help ...I've been researching some of the laptops mentioned above. I'm going to wait a bit, I think, until everyone has had a little more time using X6 -- I'd hate to make a mistake and buy something that wasn't working really well with X6.

I realize that I want to be able to call the laptop company and actually talk to someone who has used the product. With HP, all I ever get is someone reading off a spec sheet, but never, ever even tried the laptop. Not very helpful. Digital Storm seems like they would have people really familiar with their product.
    Intel Core i7-2820QM
    CPU @ 2.30GHZ 2.30 GHZ
    8 GB Ram
    64-bit OS

My HP laptop works fine with X6. It's about 18 months old now - see spec below.
    Alan Peach

Home Designer Pro 9.0
    Chief Architect X3, X4, X5, X6
    HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook, Core i7/2670, 2.2Ghz, 8Gb with
    ATI Radeon HD6490M Graphics, 1Gb
    HP Pavilion Elite HPE-495, Corei7/870, 16Gb with
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics, 1GB
    Windows 7.0 Pro 64-bit; Windows 8.1 Pro

Lin,

I should add that I had problems initially running X5 on my previous HP laptop and it was an issue related to the video drivers. Make sure you download and install the latest drivers for your laptop. I also found Chief Architect support extremely helpful in resolving the problem after I told them I paid my SSL fee exactly to have these sorts of issues resolved.
    Alan Peach

Home Designer Pro 9.0

Thanks, Alan -- I just rechecked and all my drivers are up to date. My laptop is older (a few years), though, so that might have something to do with it. I just wish the Envy I had purchased had a better touch pad.
    Intel Core i7-2820QM
    CPU @ 2.30GHZ 2.30 GHZ
    8 GB Ram
    64-bit OS

Hi Lin,

Personally, I gave up using the touchpad with Chief and invested in a Logitech wireless trackball M570. It's absolutely brilliant, and it will rest on the front of the keyboard next to the touchpad. Control is very precise and I wouldn't be without it.

Alan
    Alan Peach

Home Designer Pro 9.0

CA have to improve x6 for intel4000 because like it or not - there are going to be a lot of people running CA on i4000 and its successor when out in the field
    or as desktop replacements.
    question: why does x5 run ok on i4000 but x6 doesnt? needs some resources thrown at it please CA to tweak up x6. total cop-out to say 'upgrade'. not acceptable. i4000 is current.

X6 runs on an Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000. If you're experiencing problems you likely need to update your video drivers.

When updating your drivers be sure to check the vendor website for newer drivers. The Windows driver update utility often incorrectly determines that you have the latest version.

Lin - what video card and driver version do you have installed?
    Ryan Matern
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

Msi gt70 20d
    Victor Rasilla
    General Building & Engineering Contractor

X1-X5
    CPU - i7-2600K
    MoBo - ASUS P8P67 Deluxe REV 3.0
    RAM - 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1333
    HD - Samsung 500GB SSD
    GPU - MSI GeForce GTX680
    OS - Win 7 Pro 64bit
    PSU - Corsair 750watt

Hi im new here,

One question, how u know is u video card?? u just need opengl 2.1 or better, are u sure u dont have the default windows drivers?? it should work fine with DV7 HP Notebook.

Greetings

JP