Threaded View

Samantha:

I would suggest you subscribe to two construction magazines that have good articles on all sorts of construction for new and existing homes. They are: The Journal of Light Construction and Fine Homebuilding. As you may be aware, Fine Homebuilding magazine can often be found in home centers, book stores and magazine racks in other stores. JLC needs to be subscribed to. You may also want to consider purchasing all their magazines on DVD. I think this would be a very good investment for you.

You may also want to get a good home drafting book. I have one called "Architectural Drafting and Design" by Alan Jefferis and David Madsen that is jamb packed with excellent information on creating construction plans for new homes. There is some information that applies to commercial buildings in the book as well. The book isn't cheap if purchased new but if you search the Internet, you can often find some decent deals. I have the 5th Edition and I think there is at least one newer addition than mine. I believe I paid $90.00 for mine and it was new ... that was several years ago. Check it out ... I think on some sites you may be able to look at the index to see what the book covers.

Searching the Internet sometimes yields some excellent articles or technical information and from time to time, some good CAD details on how to build things. Sometimes Chief Architect has some good information on how to do things in their Help Database articles or in their video archives. Good luck.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard