vaulted ceilings for interior designers?

I am interior designer looking to render a room with a vaulted ceiling. I don't know much about building a roof, all I know is my vaulted ceiling goes from 96" to 139" on the inside. What is the best way to do that?

What version are you running? x5 premier, x6?
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

You do need to familiarize yourself with a couple of things to do a roof properly.
    Do you want the ceiling to be the bottom part of the roof rafters? This would be a roof system with a Ridge Beam and roof rafters.
    Or, do you want the ceiling to be at a different slope than the roof rafters? Typically the ceiling might be on a 4:12 pitch. This is were the ceiling plane
    would go up 4 inches for every 12 inches that it goes horizontally and the roof may be at a 6 or 7 or greater on 12" pitch.
    This is very typical of a scissors truss roof system.

Both of these systems are doable in Chief but take different courses of action to get to them.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

I am running X6 Interiors. I don't really care what the roof looks like, I just need the ceiling to look right on the inside. I am happy to use either approach.

does X6 Interiors allow for creating ceiling planes manually ?

if so, then you probably don't even need to create roofs at all

set the room to "no ceiling over this room" then create the ceiling planes manually as needed

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Actually, I tried that and couldn't make it work, but that does not mean it is not possible. Does anyone know how to make that work? I also tried drawing roof planes and setting the baseline and peak, but I don't think I understand it well enough... I want one of the interior walls to meet the roof lines, but can't figure out how to do that....

I can't do the best job of explaining how. I can tell you that interiors works the same as premier for this and there are a couple of ways to approach it. I'd say ceiling planes are easiest.
    You need: to have a complete closed building, full gable walls on the ends of it (roof tab of the wall dbx for each end wall), a roof (auto build is fine but easiest way to get the gable ends closed), and select "no ceiling" over this room in the structure tab of the room that you a putting the cathedral ceiling in (doesn't sound logical but you want to get rid of the default flat ceiling)

A short spin through the Chief videos or over at cheiftutor.com should get you going.
    Mark McAniff, Highland, NY

X5 Interiors
    Sager NP9150 Win8, i7 3840-2.8, GTX 670MX 3GB, 16GB DDR3, 256 mSSD, 500HDD
    Dell M4500 Win7 Pro-64, i7 M620, Quadro FX 880M, 8GB

MarkJames & Co. Designers of fine kitchens, baths, and built-ins.
    www.markjames.co

Fresh - the height from top plate to ridge is 43" so you need to divide that by the distance from the outside wall to the inside wall and find out what distance the roof rises over that span. Set that number to the roof pitch. SO if the room is 14' wide then 43/14 = 3.07" for the roof pitch.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by freshrooms View Post
    I am interior designer looking to render a room with a vaulted ceiling. I don't know much about building a roof, all I know is my vaulted ceiling goes from 96" to 139" on the inside. What is the best way to do that?
    If after all these replies and you still can't figure it out, email me and maybe I can help with an online meeting and show you how to do it. My email is in my signature below.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I have a local client who is a wonderful Interior Designer and also uses Interiors. I was surprised that it seems that Architectural practices are not (apparently) part of the licensing process for such professionals.

Be that as it may, you should decide to learn about basic building conventions as an adjunct to your own creative work as a professional.

I don't know much about building a roof
    Trust me, building a roof is not "Rocket Science" but it is an exacting process but simple and straight forward in application; to vault the ceiling of a room you MUST have roof or ceiling planes, so those tools must be learned to have that result.

The modeling tools in Chief mirror the conventions and procedures of building, so both must be learned and mastered to have a desired result.

You should consider taking up Tommy's kind offer of help as there is nothing more enabling than being shown how to do something.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!