Cabinet Error Message - Not enough vertical space

Sorry if this is a duplicate post....

Anyone ever deal with this error message? Each time I try to place an upper on floor 1, inside or outside, I get this error:
    Not enough vertical space, could not create new cabinet module

The only way I can install and upper cabinet is to place it on floor 2 then copy past on floor 1. Rather messed up I would say.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not enough vertical space.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	62408
    Kay Nordby
    3DPlanView LLC
    http://www.3dplanview.com/
    kay@3dplanview.com
    X4, X5

Kay,

I don't have enough information.

What are your defaults for wall cabinets?

Vertical size and position?

What is the backsplash height?
    Are the backsplashes a part of the base cabinets or is it a "Custom Backsplash"?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post

Kay,

I don't have enough information.

What are your defaults for wall cabinets?

Vertical size and position?

What is the backsplash height?
    Are the backsplashes a part of the base cabinets or is it a "Custom Backsplash"?

Name:	Base Cabinet Default.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	62412 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General Cabinet Default.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	62413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wall Cabinet Default.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	62414

Does this help? I am not sure what you mean by, "vertical size and position."
    Is that info in the screen shots above, or do you mean X-Y coordinates?

Thanks for taking a look at this! I had this same problem WAY back in Chief 10. Did not solve it then either. I just put my cabinets in on the second floor and moved them down. That is the "furniture stacker" way to get it done.

FYI - Furniture Stacker is word local to our area. A term of endearment for our resourceful farm folks. "Making do with what you have, and making sure you never throw any of it away." Note the "furniture- stacked on front porch.

Name:	mississippi-poverty-300x199.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	62415
    Kay Nordby
    3DPlanView LLC
    kay@3dplanview.com
    X4, X5

Kay,

I am unable to reproduce your problem. My guess was that there was a soffit or something between the ceiling and the top of the 42" tall cabinet that prevented it from fitting. But when I tried to test that, Chief automatically reduced the Wall Cabinet to fit in the available space.

Is it possible you are using a predefined cabinet (user Library item) that is fixed at 42" tall?
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

I don't think the problem is the cabinets. I think it is something else in your plan that is messing things up. Maybe a problem with your room definition or some other object that is not visible. If you post the plan, I am pretty sure that some one could figure it out without guessing. If all else fails, I would call tech support.
    Kilgore Trout

Kay,

I am unable to reproduce your problem. My guess was that there was a soffit or something between the ceiling and the top of the 42" tall cabinet that prevented it from fitting. But when I tried to test that, Chief automatically reduced the Wall Cabinet to fit in the available space.

Is it possible you are using a predefined cabinet (user Library item) that is fixed at 42" tall?
    Nope, it is just a plain ole cabinet from the library. As far as I know, it is pretty generic.

The error message is very specific. Makes me think I am not the ONLY CA user to run into this problem, but I only found ONE other forum post about this error. On HomeTalk. No real resolution there either.

Time to use my SSA I think.
    Kay Nordby
    3DPlanView LLC
    kay@3dplanview.com
    X4, X5

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I don't think the problem is the cabinets. I think it is something else in your plan that is messing things up. Maybe a problem with your room definition or some other object that is not visible. If you post the plan, I am pretty sure that some one could figure it out without guessing. If all else fails, I would call tech support.
    So odd that I can copy paste the cabinets, but not install one with the wall cabinet tool. Very very strange. Maybe Tech Support has an answer.
    Thanks anyway!
    Kay
    Kay Nordby
    3DPlanView LLC
    kay@3dplanview.com
    X4, X5

Quote Originally Posted by kaynordby View Post
    Nope, it is just a plain ole cabinet from the library.
    OK, here's what I think.

You are using a Library Cabinet 42" tall located 54" from the floor. If the Ceiling Height is less than 96" clear then the Library Cabinet won't fit and you get the error message. The "Place from Library" is different than using Chief's standard cabinets from the menu or toolbar - which will automatically be resized if there isn't sufficient room. As far as copying from the second floor, that function is not so picky about fit.
    Windows 8.1

OK, here's what I think.

You are using a Library Cabinet 42" tall located 54" from the floor. If the Ceiling Height is less than 96" clear then the Library Cabinet won't fit and you get the error message. The "Place from Library" is different than using Chief's standard cabinets from the menu or toolbar - which will automatically be resized if there isn't sufficient room. As far as copying from the second floor, that function is not so picky about fit.
    Hey Joe,

That makes perfect sense, but these people do not have anything lower than a 10 ft ceiling in the whole house. Totally bizarre that I cannot put a 42" cabinet into a room with a 12' ceiling. There are no soffits, boxed down ceilings, or anything in the way.

I just did a test. I changed the defaults on the cabinets and placed them into a room with 12 ft ceiling:
    • Base cabinet - 15ft tall - YEP
    • Full height wall cabinet - YEP
    • Wall cabinet -1 inch tall - NOPE!

Chief will not allow me to put a wall cabinet or soffit outside either. Color me confused.

Kay
    Kay Nordby
    3DPlanView LLC
    kay@3dplanview.com
    X4, X5

Kay,

Post the Plan.
    Windows 8.1

Kay,

Post the Plan.
    OH MY GOSH!
    I exported the plan to get it ready to post. NOW the wall cabinets and soffits work!
    Clearly the plan was just as confused as I was.

If the cabinet gremlin comes back, I will post!

Thanks anyway for the help guys...
    Mercy.
    Kay Nordby
    3DPlanView LLC
    kay@3dplanview.com
    X4, X5