Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cabinet Crown Molding. Issue getting old quick

I have had this issue with X4, X5 and now X6 with three different PC's so it tells me that I must be doing something wrong. When I place a wall cabinet by itself or next to another cabinet such as a tall cabinet as soon as I place it the crown molding on the cabinet disappears. If there are several wall cabinets and I either copy and paste a wall cabinet to the end of the run the same thing happens. The second issue is when I have the wall cabinets in place with the crown showing correct and I delete one of the cabinets the cabinet disappears but the crown remains. The only way to clear all this up is to save the plan, exit Chief and reopen the plan. Once back in the plan all is good. This happens in just about every plan and again I've had the same issue for a while. Tech support said they couldn't find an issue. See attached pics. Thanks for any thoughts.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crown 3.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	62371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crown.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	62372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crown 2.jpg 
Views:	882 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	62373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crown 4.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	62374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crown 5.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	62375  

Rob Mathews, RN, CGR, NARI CR
    Curb Appeal Renovations
    CurbAppealRenovations.com
    Keller, Texas
    8.0 - X-6 User

Dell Alienware Aurora ALX, Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, I7-4960X, 16 GB RAM, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Graphics Card Dual 27" Monitors

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    I've had a problem similar to this with crown, but I think it was usually caused by my cabinets not being aligned properly. I remember once or twice having a problem that wasn't caused by misalignment and I just manually installed the crown rather than spend the time trying to figure out what the problem was.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

May or may not help, but this thread may have some pertinent information. It's been an ongoing problem for me that I've just learned to deal with.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....crown-moulding
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

It's not a Chief issue....it's a video card issue as far as I could tell anyway. I used to get this alot. I put a newer video card in my PC and no more crown issues. My laptop is a few years newer even and it never does this. It sounds odd, but I have not seen this since upgrading my video card.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Maybe you haven't had a situation with a full height cabinet next to a wall cabinet with crown moulding since your video card replacement?? Possible?? Don't see any way a video card could possibly affect the way crown moulding builds or does not build (especially because in my experience it is ALWAYS related to a full height cabinet next to a wall cabinet).
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I didn't either. I had just gotten used to it, and if you just ignore the problem, it always fixes itself in the end. I do a lot of kitchens...some months A LOT of kitchens, so I am sure that I have this set up. I almost always design either a built-in fridge or refrigerator panels that are created using full height cabinets set at 1 1/2" width, so I know that I have been in the situation....just reporting my case though. I have not had this situation since I purchased the new laptop, or replaced the video card.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

That definitely sounds like reasonably compelling evidence. Maybe that's why the folks at Chief couldn't find problems in the OP's plan?
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I doubt if it's my video card. I have two of the fastest high end cards NVIDIA makes and my PC is only three months old. Ive had this happen on two PC and one laptop over the past several years.
    Curb Appeal Renovations
    Keller, Texas
    8.0 - X-6 User

Dell Alienware Aurora ALX, Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, I7-4960X, 16 GB RAM, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Graphics Card Dual 27" Monitors

I had this problem once before. It was the height difference between the two cabinets. It was like 1/2" but enough to keep the crown from working properly. For some reason the default full height cabinet was 90.5" (this was a few years ago). Rob, have you tried to open the full height cabinet dbx then click "ok"? This in turn gets the cabinet to rebuild.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    SSA membership since 2011
    Hebrews 3:4
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz)
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    512GB Flash Drive

I have not tried opening the tall cabinet but ill try it.
    Curb Appeal Renovations
    Keller, Texas
    8.0 - X-6 User

In a test plan I added wall cabinets that were connected to a tall cabinet and of course the crown on the wall cabinets disappeared. I did open the tall cabinet dbx and just clicked ok and closed and the crown reappeared. Though I wish someone at CA knew what is causing this issue, by opening and closing the tall cabinet dbx seems to be a work around but diffidently not a fix. But I'll take it. Thanks
    Curb Appeal Renovations
    Keller, Texas
    8.0 - X-6 User

That rebuild scenario has been somewhat common but random across the board with CA. I've gotten to the point now that when something quirky happens in 3D, I will open it and click ok to force a rebuild and the majority of times it seems to resolve the issue.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    SSA membership since 2011
    Hebrews 3:4
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz)
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    512GB Flash Drive

I have seen this problem too. Depending on what cabinets you change, the moldings don't always update. I found a quick and easy way to fix this though. Just use the rebuild 3D tool.
    Kilgore Trout

I got this huge job from a designer in Hawaii. I had alot of things I had tweak to keep things going. I gave up on doing the crown on the cabinet face and went back to how 20/20 would do the crown.

Took the cabinet soffit tool put crown on it and adjusted the soffit height so just the crown is showing, gave it a new layer and different color. For corner cabinets I put the crown on the face of the cabinet. Made a block of it and stored it in my library. I did the same for the light rail.
    Clare White
    Clockwise Design

Chief X4
    Windows XP Pentium,
    (slow) NVIDIA Graphic Card
    clockwisedesign@sbcglobal.net
    New to the Great Portland, Oregon area as of 7-2012
    503 354-4423

Quote Originally Posted by curbappeal View Post
    In a test plan I added wall cabinets that were connected to a tall cabinet and of course the crown on the wall cabinets disappeared. I did open the tall cabinet dbx and just clicked ok and closed and the crown reappeared. Though I wish someone at CA knew what is causing this issue, by opening and closing the tall cabinet dbx seems to be a work around but diffidently not a fix. But I'll take it. Thanks
    Rob, next time it happens, please post the plan so we can see if the problem is you or CA. I too have had this happen, (rarely), but somehow I was always able to fix it, and I don't know if the problem was me or CA, but it got fixed.

I think the more examples we have of the problem, and the more of us can duplicate the issue, the problem may be discovered, thanks.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall