lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Simple stair problem?

I'm building what I thought was a simple stairs, but I'm having a very frustrating time. I "think" I'm doing everything the way I always done it, but I'm not getting the results I'm after. On the second floor I built the floor out into and open below area using railing walls for a "stair landing" to attach the stairs coming up from the first floor. After the stairs were attached to the landing area I got the results shown in the attachment picture. It shows no drywall on one side of the opening, but there is drywall on the other side of the opening. I screwed with this for way to long. What did I do wrong? To eliminate as much back and forth questioning I'm attaching the plan where I'm at at this point. This should not be difficult. Please tell me what the H--- I'm doing wrong! I have to leave the computer for a couple of hours incase someone is wanting to get back to me for a question. Thanks and good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boyd station stairs 1.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	62365  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Here is a link to a short You Tube video of me putzing around with your plan, I hope you find it useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZO67...ature=youtu.be

Chief Architect Inc software is rather a complicated-sophisticated piece of stuff with plenty of wiggle room for goofy-ness and non-optimum results, so I believe it is usual that when you get unwanted results you merely persist until you get results that you can live with.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Another way to fix this other than DJP's way is to go upstairs, select top of wall at stairs and make it invisible. Have I ever had to do this before? No. Why do I need to do it now? I don't know, but it fixed it. Here is another vid.

http://youtu.be/7Plu4Nkpxio
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    David & Scott......Thanks for taking the time for the videos. When I came back to the computer, I started playing around again with the problem. I kept telling myself this had to be something simple that I was missing. Earlier, before posting the thread, I had made the wall invisible, but it screwed something else up. I don't remember exactly what right now what it was. It might have been something with the caps---whatever. I play around with trying different things so much I forget what all I tried. WELL, I finally figured out what the problem was. I had the layer reversed to the inside of the railing wall where the "stair doorway" was. Once I changed the layer on that railing wall to the outside the problem went away-----go figure! Sometimes it can be the simplest little thing that can give a person fits with this program. I thought I would let everyone know how I solved the problem incase it would come up in someway for somebody else. Life is great! Hey it's Sunday. I think I'm going to pour a glass of wine and sit down and watch the Olympics. Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    ....... WELL, I finally figured out what the problem was. I had the layer reversed to the inside of the railing wall where the "stair doorway" was. Once I changed the layer on that railing wall to the outside the problem went away----........
    Thanks Larry, I just confirmed what you said, I never put that together......
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall