Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom Bathroom Sink - How do you create this?

Hi All,

I was browsing through models on Turbo Squid and came across a sink setup that I thought I would have a go at modelling:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...d-model/425075

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom Vanity.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	62360.

Well I didn't get too far .

I created my own sink out of psolids, but when I tried a few different ways of adding it to a cabinet as a symbol, I came unstuck. Inserting into a cabinet, cut a square hole rather than elliptical. Tried a custom countertop and cut a hole but if I dragged the hole edge to the edge of the cabinet it chucks a wobbly that the hole is no longer contained, plus I also had part of the cabinet framing intruding through the basin.

So I'm wondering what methods you guys would use to accomplish a similar outcome.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

To cut a round hole in a counter top, draw a circle in counter top, convert to counter top with the convert tool, open the counter top circle and check "hole in counter top". Center your sink symbol over hole and raise/lower with transform/replicate tool.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Thanks Gerry,

I can create an elliptical hole, but if I pull the basin (and hole) forward as per the image, the hole doesn't like it.

Also I have cabinet framing I can't get rid of when the basin is shifted forward.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

Rod - I would guess you cannot create this to happen automatically as with other sinks but need to create a static symbol.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

A sink can cut the edge of a countertop. In other words, the cutout can intersect the counter's edge, as they do for apron sinks. But that is not the problem, with this particular configuration. The issue here is that the cabinet does not get cut by a symbol that "inserts into countertop," and so the front part of the cabinet will be seen running through the sink bowl.

It can be solved creating one entire symbol of vanity base and sinks and faucets.

Attached is a section view through a sink base cab with a Kohler steel apron sink inserted. Note that the cabinet is not cut by the sink. The cab spec has the top of the front called out as blank at the height needed to accommodate the apron front, but that blank area is still there. The sink "contains" it underneath. If this sink were brought forward into the room space just a little, that cabinet front would be visible in 3D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-09_0827.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	62361  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

OK -- Another approach is to create a custom cabinet and just cut a hole in the front. Problem I had was some Z fighting between the sink symbol and the counter top in the back.

Name:	Custom Cabinet #2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	62370  
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Although this is by no means impossible with Chief, my first instinct would be to reach for the Sketchup.

Name:	TWIN SINKS.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	62368
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Looks like a perfect example to utilise solids and the Boolean tools and just build the unit from scratch.
    I would start by making the bowls from a Rotated Shape and then do the rest with Solids.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Okey Dokey--- The way to cut a round hole in a counter top which also involves cutting the edge is to use polyline subtraction. The subtraction will convert the counter top back to a polyline . You just select and convert back to a counter top. Then use a custom cabinet and cut the hole in the front panel. Got It.

Name:	2D counter top.PNG 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.3 KB 
ID:	62376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D counter top.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	62377  
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Okey Dokey--- The way to cut a round hole in a counter top which also involves cutting the edge is to use polyline subtraction. The subtraction will convert the counter top back to a polyline . You just select and convert back to a counter top. Then use a custom cabinet and cut the hole in the front panel. Got It.
    Easy Peasy, I was trying to figure out what the mystery was.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Thank you all for the replies,

I shall have a look at these suggestions and see if I can get it to work.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

Ok, so Gerry's last suggestion worked. For some reason I couldn't perform a subtraction, so opened up a new plan and went from scratch (as per Glenn's).

Got the subtraction to work.

Created the top section of the cabinet as "opening" but still had the issue of the cabinet passing through the basin as Gene pointed out.

Deleted the top separation so I had no frame poking through the basin.

So now I just have to create a custom front panel to fit around the basin. See what I can come up with.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

Ok so this is what I managed to create just using a standard cabinet (so dimensionally it can be adjusted and works like a cabinet instead of a symbol). Created the basin with Psolids and the front panel also with a psolid.

Name:	Vanity.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	62383
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

Rod,

You can make the bowls very quickly and realistic by Rotating a Shape.
    This gives you nice radii if it is important to you.

Name:	New Image_23.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	62384  
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glenn,

I'm trying to follow but not sure if I've fallen off the wagon. Name:  shovefall.gif
Views: 360
Size:  42.3 KB

How did you get the chamfer from the bottom of the basin to the sides?
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1