Mac version faster?

I was watching one of Scotts videos, and he made a comment that the Mac was faster than the PC. I'd like to know if that means the Mac version of Chief runs faster than its PC counterpart?

I used Mac nearly all my life until a couple years ago, but I found the opposite true, in that PC apps seem zippi-er so I bailed altogether on the Mac (why pay more for less speed). Curious if CA runs faster for some reason on MAC....
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    I was watching one of Scotts videos, and he made a comment in the last one he did where he said the Mac was faster than the PC. I'd like to know if that means the Mac version of Chief runs faster than its PC counterpart?

I used Mac nearly all my life until a couple years ago, but I found the opposite true, in that PC apps seem zippi-er so I bailed altogether on the Mac (why pay more for less speed). Curious if CA runs faster for some reason on MAC....
    I have CA X6 installed on a Mac Pro in Both OSX and Windows7 64 bit. It's running Windows via BootCamp. I don't notice any difference in speed.
    Greg
    X6 Premier Mac
    Apple Mac Pro
    dual 23" Displays
    40" HD TV as Customer Display
    since Chief Architect '97

Generally speaking the two versions are more or less equivalent on equivalent hardware. There are however some things that may be faster on the Mac based on a number of variables. The Mac C++ compiler is different and may generate faster code in some circumstances. The Mac OS has a generally better core for doing task switching so may be faster when running multiple threads.

Some things like embedding PDFs in Chief will be a lot faster simply because the toolkit for displaying PDFs on the Mac is a lot better.

We have seen some benchmarks that indicate that a few things may be significantly faster on the Mac. However, there are also benchmarks that indicate that other things are significantly faster on Windows.

At this point my sense is that they are roughly equivalent on equivalent hardware, but buying hardware that is exactly the same for benchmarking is a little hard to do.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I don't know that I can put my finger on any one aspect of CA that excels in Mac over Windows, but I can say I have been more productive on my Mac (just made the switch at the end of last year). Whether that's from the newness of the OS and the joy of working with that, or some tangible speed difference I could not say. For what it's worth....

I'll be glad when they work out the bugs though.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    SSA membership since 2011
    Hebrews 3:4
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz)
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    512GB Flash Drive