Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Scott have you tried this?

http://www.wikihow.com/Compress-a-PDF-File

Method 3 of 4: Compressing a PDF File Using Mac OS

Open your PDF in Preview by double-clicking on it in the Finder menu.
    By default, PDF files open in Preview unless you have Adobe Reader or a third party PDF viewer. If that is the case, simply locate the PDF, right click it, click “Open With” and choose Preview.
    Click File → Export. A dialog box will appear.
    Click the Quartz Filter option and select “Reduce File Size”.
    Click “Save”. If you do not rename this file, a dialog box will appear asking if you wish to replace the original document. This will overwrite the current document.[2]

Or This?

Compress a PDF file on MAC

If you are a MAC user then compressing the size of the PDF file is really easy and it does not require any software download as MAC has an inbuilt application (Preview.app) which can be used to compress the PDF file in seconds.

The Real Process:

1. The very first process is open the PDF file with Preview application.

2. After opening the file choose “File” at the top of the screen and then click on “Print” or You can also the use the shortcut key (“Command key” + Letter “P”) to print the file, this will pop up a dropdown menu.

3. On the dropdown menu, you can see a button in the bottom left-hand corner labeled as “PDF”. Click the button and another dropdown menu will appear, immediately below the “PDF” button.

4. Click on the “Compress PDF” from this dropdown menu and now you can see a window indicating the compression is taking place.

5. After the compression a Save window will appear, here you need to type the name of the file and location of the file and click on the Save button.

That’s all, now your PDF file is compressed and ready to send over email.
    Just tried it, started with 100.3 mb file, result was a 100.3 mb file. ( I used method 3 as you suggested).
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Sorry Scott, I don't write lol unless I'm actually laughing out loud and I know it's frustrating but lol - guess that didn't work so well huh?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Sorry Scott, I don't write lol unless I'm actually laughing out loud and I know it's frustrating but lol - guess that didn't work so well huh?
    No it did not work. I posted this thread hoping somebody would and could come up with a solution. Nobody has (but I do appreciate the efforts). If anybody had a solution I would of expected it to come from CA. They do recognize the issue, they say they are looking for a solution, and I assume they are. I think it was Dan who wondered if a third party app would help out, I wish somebody would find that app.

I just amazes me that this is even a problem and has not been solved a long time ago, I just don't get it. What do all the other apple die hards do?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    No it did not work. I posted this thread hoping somebody would and could come up with a solution. Nobody has (but I do appreciate the efforts). If anybody had a solution I would of expected it to come from CA. They do recognize the issue, they say they are looking for a solution, and I assume they are. I think it was Dan who wondered if a third party app would help out, I wish somebody would find that app.

I just amazes me that this is even a problem and has not been solved a long time ago, I just don't get it. What do all the other apple die hards do?
    I took the Riverstone layout which was 60MB and changed all of the 3D graphics from jpeg to PNG and it changed the PDF file size to 39.2MB. Maybe that will help.
    I think the answer is FTP.
    Greg
    X6 Premier Mac
    Apple Mac Pro
    dual 23" Displays
    40" HD TV as Customer Display
    since Chief Architect '97

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    .... I just don't get it. What do all the other apple die hards do?
    Switch to a PC That seems to solve the YouTube audio issues as well.
    Mike D.
    v10, X1, X5, X6

Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    I opened the Sample layout "Riverstone" supplied by CA, which is 19 pages with plenty of 3D graphics.
    I used the built pdf printer @ 600DPI, the file size was 60MB.
    I just tried the same thing on my machine and I get a file size of 39.2MB @ 600dpi. How do we get such a difference in file size using the same method and same file on two different machines? Also odd, I tried @ 300dpi and the file size actually gets slightly larger (39.4MB)...

I also tried reducing the 600dpi file size via Preview and it went down to 31.3MB... as you said Scott, it helps but not much. I did a quick search in the App Store and found another app you could maybe try: PDF Squeezer - $3.99. It got decent reviews, but I can't say I've tried it.

It would be nice if we had more options to control file size from CA's print dbx, rather than just dpi and color on/off. Hopefully Dan and those guys can figure something out.

In the mean time, one thing I do when I have files that are too large to email is dump them in a new folder in Dropbox and share that folder with my client. I started doing 3D fly-around videos and stuff recently. Those files are always too large to email if I use a decent resolution and the Dropbox option works well for that.
    Levis Lavoie
    Owner / Architectural Tech
    www.design3drafting.ca

X6 Beta 3
    User since X1
    Apple 27" iMac and 15" MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Levis View Post
    ........ Those files are always too large to email if I use a decent resolution and the Dropbox option works well for that.
    Yep, drop box for my print company would work or I could use their FTP site as Greg suggested. As far as clients go, I do use the drop box, but if they then want to email it, they too have to set up a drop box account.

For now I think I will stick with printing off the PC until CA figures out how to handle this. I would consider switching back to the PC full time, but truthfully, I hate going back and doing work on the PC in lieu of MAC. Not saying the MAC is better, it is just that I have now become quite accustom to it..... and who knows, maybe my PC is screwed up....... thanks guys for the interest..... as CA says..... the squeaky wheel gets the oil..... so I am squeaking.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

This thread is confusing we are talking about multiple issues:

1) Scott's issue with large PDF size on MAC. This is a result of font's not getting embbeded. I have talked to the engineers at QT and it's apparently a hard problem for them to solve. We will continue to pursue the issue.

2) Importing PDF files that consist of a large number of pixel based images.

3) Performance of the program in plan views and layout views when you have imported PDF files.

4) Performance of print preview when you have lot's of embedded PDF files.

Primarily this thread is dicussing item 1). It will be less confusing for everyone if we discuss the discrete issues in separate threads.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park View Post
    This thread is confusing we are talking about multiple issues:

1) Scott's issue with large PDF size on MAC. This is a result of font's not getting embbeded. I have talked to the engineers at QT and it's apparently a hard problem for them to solve. We will continue to pursue the issue.

2) Importing PDF files that consist of a large number of pixel based images.

3) Performance of the program in plan views and layout views when you have imported PDF files.

4) Performance of print preview when you have lot's of embedded PDF files.

Primarily this thread is dicussing item 1). It will be less confusing for everyone if we discuss the discrete issues in separate threads.
    I would be curious to know if the fact that I use limited text on my layouts has anything to do with my smaller print file sizes verses Scott's. I block my header on page 0 and label imports from plan files, that's about all the text I have on my layout files. Out of the few print files I've completed with X6 (all have been limited to 6 pages or less), my largest file was around 3mb or 4mb at 600dpi.

Scott, try blocking all your layout text on each page. If it's a text/font issue and CA can't resolve it, it's at least worth a shot in the dark. How much text do you use in your layouts? Do you use the auto-generated labels (I do not)?
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    SSA membership since 2011
    Hebrews 3:4
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz)
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    512GB Flash Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    I would be curious to know if the fact that I use limited text on my layouts has anything to do with my smaller print file sizes verses Scott's. I block my header on page 0 and label imports from plan files, that's about all the text I have on my layout files. Out of the few print files I've completed with X6 (all have been limited to 6 pages or less), my largest file was around 3mb or 4mb at 600dpi.

Scott, try blocking all your layout text on each page. If it's a text/font issue and CA can't resolve it, it's at least worth a shot in the dark. How much text do you use in your layouts? Do you use the auto-generated labels (I do not)?
    Instead of Riverstone, I used my own layout with a total of 12 pages, six line drawings, four 3D views and two high quality Ray Traces. When I print to PDF using CA the file size is 6MB. I used all default fonts.
    There is something in Riverstone causing this. Is it the Fonts?
    You can download the PDF HERE, it's on the right side. Maybe it will help figure this out.
    Greg
    X6 Premier Mac
    Apple Mac Pro
    dual 23" Displays
    40" HD TV as Customer Display
    since Chief Architect '97

Did I miss something in this 1997 flashback--Use DropBox, SkyDrive, Amazon Cloud, etc., etc. Emailing files? As if. What's next; FTP?

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil