Threaded View

Construction 101?????

Do the software developers at Chief understand basic residential construction (or am I guilty of user error?)? In my 37 1/2 years of working in residential construction, residential design and commercial and residential architecture, I've never seen a new construction framing scenario where a 5 ft tub or tub-shower's rough framing is greater than 5 ft (some framers allow an additional 1/4" or more for error but really the drawing rough dim should be 5ft).

Chief automatically locates and stops their 5' tubs at the face of the drywall layer (although, they correctly stop their cabinetry at he drywall face). Their 5' tubs and tub-showers never fit when placed in a rough framed space of 5'-0" when a drywall layer exists (4'-11" fin to fin or gyp to gyp). This was never a problem for me when I only used framing with no drywall on my new construction drawings. But Chief has consistently advocated using drywall layers on wall framing in order to properly create your model and materials list etc.

Typically,I will resize my tubs to 4'-11" after placing them somewhere in the plan where they fit and will then have to move them using the point to point tool. How about a radio button in the fixture's dbx defaults that would allow to choose either: snap to framing or snap to gyp or surface layer? This has been a work-a-round and minor PITA for too long now. Did they fix it in X6 or am I wrong in thinking that it needs fixing?-BAD CAD Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4