Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sonny,
    I, like you had a project that I wanted to build and I looked for a piece of software to be able to help me do so. Although I have a good deal of experience using CAD software, I had no experience with any architecture or BIM software experience. I started with HD Pro and within one week upgraded to CA Premier. Right off the bat I noticed the need for the advantages that Premier would give. The full price of your HD Pro purchase is considered and discounted from the Premier price. Also note that at times, CA will offer discounts and I believe the last one was in December and was about 250 or so off.

As for the learning curve, I can tell you that you will have to devote some time and energy to be able to do what you want. You'll have to watch the how-to videos, read the manual and then spend some time doing the exercises you've learned. Equally important is to come here to the forums and read all of the posts. These folks have given me more advice than they will ever know. Simply by lurking around you'll pick up a wealth of knowledge. Everyone learns at their own pace and in their own fashion but anyone can learn how to master (very loosely used by me) CA but you will have to dedicate time.

Some guys play golf, some guys ride dirt bikes, some guys hunt or fish.... all hobbies take time and money. For me, I like learning something new and Design / Software are those things for me. I rather enjoy learning the software and the architectural design all at the same time. For me the money spent on the software and the SSA amount to far less than the cost to hunt, fish or play golf so in that aspect, I come out ahead.

This is how I've come to be here and like you, this is NOT my field of expertise nor my career path. Like someone else remarked, if you find you are not using the program and your interest has dropped off, you can sell your license and CA supports that.

Best of luck with your project and hopefully you'll get as hooked as I did with CA Premier.

Larry
    Larry
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz
    8GB RAM Nvidia GSX 550

SonnyH,

No one can predict how competent and dedicated you may or may not be. So the only person who can predict success or failure for you, is you. If you want to design and build your own home, you can. You also have a lot to learn in terms of building and construction nomenclature and procedures as well as how that technology is then programmed into the software and its dialog boxes.
    It is a lot to understand. We do this work because we LOVE it and if you find you also have affection for the creativity and Joy it offers then that intention will carry you through to a fun game and a wonderful end product.
    But only if the game before you is one that you accept for yourself as FUN. If it ain't fun for you then let one of us help. Just be honest with yourself and your own affinities and intentions and you will then make the right decision for yourself and your family.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Great tips.

This is a bit off topic, but do you guys know of any house plans that have living spaces upstairs? e.g. back of lot level 1: Daylight basement (or just unfinished / crawlspace). Level 2: great room/rec. room and bdrooms. Level 3: kitchen/great room/living/dining etc.

I'm having no luck finding any plans like this. Basically two-story where the living spaces are located on the second floor.

v/r,
    -Sonny

Maybe this one will get you started. http://www.houseplans.com/plan/1217-...0-garage-33923

Houses all up and down the east coast, from NJ to FL, are done this way. Do a search for beach house plans and you will probably find some. Look also in the real estate listings in the beach communties. Sometimes a spec house listing has images of its floor plans.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

house plans that have living spaces upstairs?

Sonny:

Caution, Caution, Warning, Warning

I think it is very important to have at least one bedroom and bathroom
    and kitchen and laundry etc on the lowest level possible

think accessibility, read up on "Universal Design" principles

I have bad knees and have just remodeled my house to have "everything"
    on the same floor level

my mother is 91 and gets around in her power chair in her ranch
    cause there are NO stairs

I can now do the same when the time comes

I have 3 steps to get into the house but once in "everything" is one the
    same level

having other bedrooms upstairs is ok and allows for guests and kids etc
    but one should be able to "live" on one level

a friend has a Town House with many stairs to get inside and then stairs
    to get to the main level and no bedroom or full bath on the main level

when he retires next year he plans to sell and get a ranch or a TH or Condo
    with living arrangements on the same level
    after knee surgery and hernia surgery he realized what a PAIN stairs can be

another friend had a horrible car accident and couldn't live in his house
    nor afford another
    he had to move to his parents and is confined to his bedroom due to stairs

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks to all for your input. Lew, that is a good point. we have just began designing the new house, so we will consider your points. I do think it would be nice to have a small kitchen and sitting room upstairs as well as the mid level. This is where most of the view is going to be. My parents will be living with us and they may not like having to keep climbing stairs. thanks for the plan link, but that house is just too small. we are looking for something 3000+. Based on the quick responses here, provides some evidence that CA is a active community. Thanks to all once again.

v/r,
    -Sonny