Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which product is best for me?

I'm planning to build a house on a lot I've recently purchased. I'd like to design the house myself or pick one online and make minor modifications to. Is CA (in general) product line the correct software for my use case? If i purchase CAD files from one of the many house plan Websites will I be able to import into CA and mess with them?

Assuming I get pretty good with the software and would like to actually build constructions drawings (perhaps with some help from a professional), will CA allow me to do this?

Should I go with CA architecture, pro or premier?

Looks like Suite is 100 bucks on amazon and architecture is ~170, and premier is ~2k+. If not CA, what other software would you recommend.

BTW, i have very little CAD experience. I do software engineering for a living.

Thanks in advance,
    -Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyh View Post
    I'm planning to build a house on a lot I've recently purchased. I'd like to design the house myself or pick one online and make minor modifications to. Is CA (in general) product line the correct software for my use case? If i purchase CAD files from one of the many house plan Websites will I be able to import into CA and mess with them?

Answer: Yes, but you will need some know-how to work with the CAD files, in order to use them to build a Chief model. And you want full-bore Chief Premier for this, for the reason shown below.

Assuming I get pretty good with the software and would like to actually build constructions drawings (perhaps with some help from a professional), will CA allow me to do this?

Answer: Yes, Chief Premier will permit you to do complete construction documents. Everything required for plans review and permitting, except that depending on your locale, a professional may have to produce and sign and seal the drawings.

Should I go with CA architecture, pro or premier?

Answer: Premier.

Looks like Suite is 100 bucks on amazon and architecture is ~170, and premier is ~2k+. If not CA, what other software would you recommend.

Answer: Cannot speak about others as have no knowledge, but one good way to model a house to see how you like it is to use free Sketchup.

BTW, i have very little CAD experience. I do software engineering for a living.

Remark: Plan for a few hundred hours of work learning and trying things out, but many other newbies have succeeded with no prior CAD experience.

Thanks in advance,
    -Sonny

Hope this reply gets you most of the information.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Sonny:

If i purchase CAD files

Yes, but "lots of assembly needed" - not a 1 for 1 process

sometimes better to import floorplans as image and then trace over with walls etc

actually build constructions drawings
    Chief and HD products are capable of letting you build the docs
    naturally Chief is better than HD products

HD PRO costs $500 and would be a good place to start
    CA allows for "full credit" towards upgrade to Chief

I would recommend Chief Premier over Chief Interiors

many a DIY has used Chief then sold it when the project was complete
    probably get around 80% of value back for Chief Premier (HD ???)

see the comparison charts on CA's website
    then contact CA sales and discuss your needs

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks for the quick response Lew and Gene.

I don't mind spending that much money if i was sure I'd be able to put something together that is actually usable. The other option is to provide enough detail and then hire an architect to do the rest. Would HD Pro or architecture be good enough for this? I found this link comparing the products below, but a bit too much details to sort though (and does not have HD arch.)

http://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pd...ix-hdp2012.pdf

My current plan is to check out the trial and start with the tutorials. I heard there was tutorial where it builds a house with a basement (link?). The house i have in mind will have two stories and a daylight basement. I'd prefer to only buy the architecture and then upgarde to Pro if I need to. and then upgrade to Primier. I'm assuming this is possilbe?

I'm a bit doubleminded still though. I don't know if it's worth my time to go through this software if it isn't a standard used by pros. E.g. if i go elsewhere will these skills come in handy? or do most use autocad arch. revit etc. What are your thoughts on this?

What is your need? Building a custom home for yourself based on a program defined mostly by a stock plan from a plans-website?

Or is it to learn a new skill, that being proficiency with home-design software, and the proficiency is marketable?

Because if it is the home-building that is the goal, you might be better off purchasing the plans and letting the plans-seller do those minor changes for you. They typically charge less than what an architect would charge.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

My two cents...if a person does not have the technical expertise or knowledge to put together a set of construction plans by hand then they wont be able to do it with any design program out there either. I think it is a misconception that somehow a design program will make producing plans easy. This simply isn't the case. What it DOES do however is speed up the process and make it more efficient.

The one thing that a good 3D design program like Chief will do for the vast majority of people is make quick visual representations relatively easy (although that can even take a good amount of study and practice).
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I am with Michael on this one. In the words of my buddy from high schools step dad: "Don't be an architect. Everyone thinks they can do their own architecture. Be a surveyor. No one does their own surveying."
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

comparing the products below, but a bit too much details to sort though (and does not have HD arch.)

Sonny:

see the HD website for the comparison chart for the HD products

I don't know if it's worth my time to go through this software if it isn't a standard used by pros

There are "zillions" of PRO's using Chief Architect software to create plans and docs

you should have no issue finding an architect or designer to work with you if you create plans/docs and then need assistance or wish to make edits to their work

Chief Premier gives the greatest flexibility in doing this
    the HD products can edit plans created by Premier if the edit flag is set by Premier

there are limitations concerning features that Premier uses that PRO doesn't have
    and both parties having the same version

Premier and HD products do NOT allow for older versions to read newer plan files
    not can a newer version save plan files as an older version

I think you will find HD Arch. to be too limiting

HD PRO is the only HD product to have manual tools for roofs and framing and cabinets etc

HD PRO has a limited layout tool for creating docs but it can be done

...if a person does not have the technical expertise or knowledge to put together a set of construction plans by hand then they wont be able to do it with any design program out there either

Michael:

obviously, I would disagree with this
    I can't draw a straight line with a ruler and yet I have created plans/docs
    for many a builder and remodeler and have a 100% approval rating on first submission
    to the permit office

yes, I had to sub out some of the tasks but I controlled the project from start to end

this topic has been debated a "zillion" times on this forum
    so we don't need to do it again

if state laws allow it is very possible for someone to create a plans/docs
    then have them reviewed by an architect/engineer for stamping

some states allow the homeowner to do it completely on their own

some states mandate an architect/engineer to do every page of the plans/docs

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    What is your need? Building a custom home for yourself based on a program defined mostly by a stock plan from a plans-website?

Or is it to learn a new skill, that being proficiency with home-design software, and the proficiency is marketable?

Because if it is the home-building that is the goal, you might be better off purchasing the plans and letting the plans-seller do those minor changes for you. They typically charge less than what an architect would charge.
    Building a home is the goal, and if i can learn something along the way that is great. Do you have an idea of what they charge for minor modifications? I spoke to a local architect and he said sometimes its easier to start from scratch vs modifying an existing plan. Based an initial discussion with him i went out and starting looking for a good program that can provide a starting point. Then i started thinking if I'm actually buying software, then maybe I should consider something I may use again.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think I'll find out what they charge for the modifications. I have not yet actually gotten into their modification services. If the plan requires too many changes, I'll consider using HD to put together a basic floor plan that I can work with a pro on.

P.S. I understand this isn't easy and not everyone can just pick up this stuff. I know software is just a tool to make our life easier and isn't an engineer replacement. I design software to make people's life easier everyday. I also know that if I have a good starting point design that I can take to the architect I can save some money. They charge like 100+/hr, or like 3-8 dollars per sq.ft depending on how much detail they have to get into. Iif they have some details then it may go quicker. I apologize if I made it sound otherwise.

v/r,
    -Sonny

Sonny:

I used to belong to the AIA even tho I am just a "designer"

the offered a monthly "how to work with an architect" class

I attended two of those for the "education"

that architect stated very clearly that he would "never" work with someone else's plans
    as it stifles his creativity

other architects are not so ....

you find that the "what if" game can get very expensive - very quickly

I did plans for my sister's addition and we went thru 27 iterations of "what if"

I just finished my addition and went thru 5 iterations of "what if"

these iterations don't include the zillion little - "try this, no try that"

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew.

I'm assuming you use Premier full. Where is a good place to buy this? any discounts available?

Also do you think I should start with the Premier trial and then buy the HD Pro by marking editable? Then move to Premier if needed. Thanks for your input.

Sonny:

Yes, I have Premier, started with HD PRO 6 and upgraded within months to Chief 9.5

the Trial can't save plans so you won't be able to mark as editable

download both Premier and PRO trials and check them out

I believe Premier can only be bought from CA directly

the HD products should be on Amazon etc

If money is an issue then start with PRO, otherwise after testing the trials
    go straight to Premier if you willing/able to climb the learning curve

its is a never ending learning curve, some climb it quicker than others
    some never climb it at all

no one - absolutely no one knows everything about this software
    but there are some really sophisticated users who can make it sing

I decided to climb enough that I could work with my partner and other subs

I probably could have gone further but I would NEVER have reached anywhere
    near the top

I know my limitations

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Hi Sonny,

If you don't mind, I'll jump in. I don't use CA for architecture at all...but I did start with HD Pro and found it sufficiently versatile. It is definitely well worth its value. Should you wish to upgrade to CA X6 Premier or Interiors (I now own a copy of both) you will receive a credit for your prior HD Pro purchase. HD Pro will seamlessly import into X6 although there are a couple options that work differently.

I recommend starting with HD Pro...learn it and play with it...give yourself a while to "learn it" before you "need it" because it will take some effort to become proficient.

Good luck in your decision...and I wish you all the best making your new home.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    HP i7 Dual Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEFORCE GT 630M Video Card
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    ...its is a never ending learning curve, some climb it quicker than others
    some never climb it at all
    For some reason this comment triggered one of those "Einstein thought problem" moments for me. You know, like when big Al imagined what it would be like to travel at the speed of light. A never ending learning curve? If the curve were never ending would it then at some point in infinite time return to its origin? At which point you would find yourself right back at square one knowing nothing.

...no one - absolutely no one knows everything about this software...
    Give me a couple of more weeks.
    My Homebuilt Rig:
    Intel DZ77GA-70K Extreme MB with Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU @ 3.5GHz
    Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series AX750
    Applications Drive – Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD
    Data Drive – Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB
    Memory – Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Video - NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5
    Monitors - 2 Dell U3014 30”

My Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    CA X6 Build: 16.1.1.9x64
    Home Designer Pro 2014
    SolidWorks 2012-2013-2014
    AutoCAD 2005–2006

at some point in infinite time return to its origin?

Rich:

infinity can be a very long time - which version of Chief would that be

assuming each release of Chief introduces a new curve then ...

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051