Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sorry - yet another question - steching zones

When I am creating say a custom cabinet door, but I want the door to be sizable, do I need to make the door the smallest size and then set the stretch zones accordingly?

I made a door style at 24x42, but then when I when to place "stretch" zones I realized I needed zones that worked for shrinking the door design for what I did. Watching some videos and reading info I didn't see how to easily get the opposite of stretch zone to work - the "shrink" zone info wasn't coming to me in those informational videos.

The door would need to shrink or expand along both directions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab_door.PNG 
Views:	205 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	62191  
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Johnny,

Usually I just use stretch planes which indicate where a symbol can be stretched (enlarged or shrunk) which in the case of a door is generally in the "Panel" area, not the "Rails" or "Stiles". I would have to do some experimenting to see what the effects are of multiple stretch zones. IAE, the best way to learn how it works is to try different combinations.

For your door I would place 3 stretch planes:

x=0
    y=1
    z=18

This would prevent the thickness from being changed but allow almost infinite width and height without changing the rails or stiles.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

That worked perfectly Joe, thank you. I had the z=18 but didn't see the x/y requirements - so I really need to figure this out.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

x=0 (Center of Symbol in the x direction)
    y=1 (one inch behind the Door Symbol)

Symbols usually have their origin at center, back, bottom (0,0,0) and when a stretch plane is outside the symbol then it can't be stretched in that direction.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Joe - so the numbers are based on the origin not the actual dimensions of the symbol? I have done some stretch zones etc. but think maybe I did not really know what I was doing. Maybe Scott needs to do a video on this?
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Joe - so the numbers are based on the origin not the actual dimensions of the symbol? I have done some stretch zones etc. but think maybe I did not really know what I was doing. Maybe Scott needs to do a video on this?
    I did one yesterday, on the mac, audio input did not work, tried on pc, pc was 't working, I just rebooted pc to see if it will now work, will check shortly, if not, I will go play golf.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Joe - so the numbers are based on the origin not the actual dimensions of the symbol? I have done some stretch zones etc. but think maybe I did not really know what I was doing.
    That's correct. Most Symbols in Chief are create with their origin at x=center, y=back, z=bottom.

So:
    If you want a stretch plane at the center of the symbol's width you set it at x=0.
    If you don't want the symbol to stretch in the x direction then you set the stretch plane at x=(more than 1/2 the symbol width)

If you want one at the center of the symbol's height you set it at z=(1/2 z size)
    If you don't want the symbol to stretch in the z direction then you set the stretch plane at z=-1

If you want one at the center of the symbol's depth you set it at y=(-1/2 y size)
    If you don't want the symbol to stretch in the y direction then you set the stretch plane at y=1

Stretch Zones are different than Stretch Planes. Stretch Zones indicate the portion of a Symbol that can be stretched or shrunk and as such can result in drastically different results.

Stretch Plane - up to 3 in each direction - results in the stretching only occurring at those locations. A circular object which is bisected by a Stretch Plane will result in 2 semicircular ends connected by flat sides.
    Stretch Zone - everything within that zone will be stretched uniformly which can deform anything in that zone. IOW, a circular object within a stretch zone will become elliptical.
    Windows 8.1

Here are the vids, let me know if they don't work..

PART 1
    http://youtu.be/C_JQL-itZo8
    PART 2
    http://youtu.be/M3AVzFfzFnk

I swear, I am so fed up with all these niggling issues I seem to have. Part 2 might not have the video, audio there, no video. I reviewed my file and the video is there, somehow youtube missed the video. Let me know if it works for you, if not, I will reload to you tube to see if that is the fix.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

There are couple of additional things that you should be aware of:

1. If the symbol origin has been changed in the "General Tab" then the location of Stretch Planes may be effected.
    2. If you have a Stretch Plane outside each edge of the Symbol and you set the Stretch Zone to use those 2 Stretch Planes then it's basically the same as not having any Stretch Planes.
    3. To prevent the Symbol from stretching any direction then set a single Stretch Plane outside of the Symbol for that direction - adjusted for any origin offset.
    Windows 8.1

Thanks guys - great vid too....off-the-chart helpful.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Thanks Scott & Joe. The fact that things are based on the origin straightens me out.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

I believe this is a bug. The reason the bounding box relocation for the toilet did not work was that Scott moved it in the wrong direction. Remember that the symbol origin relocation is relative to the existing origin -- see help -- so opposite of absolute direction or in this case should have been negative. Bounding box numbers are positive from origin. Problem is that the 2D bounding box does not behave as the 3D one does. The effect in 3D is correct - use a top ortho. But the 2D sym box is still a planer projection. Perhaps need a new 2d symbol created outside of the symbol DBX -- Definitely need another video.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    I believe this is a bug. The reason the bounding box relocation for the toilet did not work was that Scott moved it in the wrong direction. Remember that the symbol origin relocation is relative to the existing origin -- see help -- so opposite of absolute direction or in this case should have been negative. Bounding box numbers are positive from origin. Problem is that the 2D bounding box does not behave as the 3D one does. The effect in 3D is correct - use a top ortho. But the 2D sym box is still a planer projection. Perhaps need a new 2d symbol created outside of the symbol DBX -- Definitely need another video.
    Thanks Gerry for bringing this up. I was hoping somebody could help me RELOCATE THE BOUNDING BOX relative to the symbol...... the reason this would be helpful is that I could relocate bounding boxes for CABINET BASED ELECTRICAL OUTLETS, they still aren't fixed.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

BTW -- I send in a bug report on Cabinet island receptacles and got a very frank answer back. Despite the library tool, Chief does not have a receptacle for island cabinets or any cabinet. It only works because you can locate it manually on the cabinet side. This has been requested before, but as of now, is not a high priority -- So "the squeaky wheel?"
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    BTW -- I send in a bug report on Cabinet island receptacles and got a very frank answer back. Despite the library tool, Chief does not have a receptacle for island cabinets or any cabinet. It only works because you can locate it manually on the cabinet side. This has been requested before, but as of now, is not a high priority -- So "the squeaky wheel?"
    I have done a lot of squeaking. CA, please fix this, and yes I have sent it in multiple times.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX