Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Yes, roof editing in W7 is slow.
    I don't get 10-15 seconds, but on a fairly simple plan it is about 2 secs.
    And for me, most plans are instantaneous, with the larger plans... 47 mb, it takes 5 seconds...... maybe......
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Should I be getting this message with every roof edit (see attached screen shot). With every edit the entire model rebuilds. Even the smallest movement of the roof. I don't recall this ever being the case before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 6.45.31 PM.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	62392
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    SSA membership since 2011
    Hebrews 3:4
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz)
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    512GB Flash Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Should I be getting this message with every roof edit (see attached screen shot). With every edit the entire model rebuilds. Even the smallest movement of the roof. I don't recall this ever being the case before.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 6.45.31 PM.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	62392
    It would be good if you did not get it. I get ie with larger plans, wish I would not get it.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Someone from CA will probably pipe in and ask you to report it. Since you have reported it, and they do not see the problem, I understand why you are still talking about this.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Try turning off Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings in 3D View Defaults - I think that's what the dbx is telling you.
    You will then have to rebuild manually though.
    You could also make sure you don't have any of the auto framing options toggled on.

I think the only reason you see the message on large plans is that it takes so long to rebuild.
    The message probably still pops up with smaller plans, but it's so fast, you don't notice it.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Try turning off Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings in 3D View Defaults.
    You could also make sure you don't have any of the auto framing options toggled on.

I think the only reason you see the message on large plans is that it takes so long to rebuild.
    The message probably still pops up with smaller plans, but it's so fast, you don't notice it.
    With my large plan I turned auto off, no differences. I semi understand with 48 my file.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Try turning off Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings in 3D View Defaults - I think that's what the dbx is telling you.
    You will then have to rebuild manually though.

This speeds things up a bit but in 3D you can't see what you've done without rebuilding. It is more helpful in plan view, which is strange because I don't even have a 3D window open. From a software design standpoint, it seems like they could get 3D items to individually rebuild instead of having the entire model do so. Guess I'm a little naive about such things.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

It's probably a Mac thing
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    It's probably a Mac thing
    Touche'

Well played sir
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

I broke out my retired Windows machine (or so I thought) and it far out performed the new Mac editing roofs in 3D. The Mac however blows the doors off the Windows machine in every other aspect of 3D rendering (shadows, watercolor, elevations, etc.). So strange....
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

A newer machine will always blow away an older machine b/c it has newer hardware and not full of stuff slowing it down. Not a fair comparison.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I don't see any pattern with slow roof editing in the comments on this thread that I can speak to. Your best bet is to contact support and send them the plan that shows the slowness.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    I broke out my retired Windows machine (or so I thought) and it far out performed the new Mac editing roofs in 3D. The Mac however blows the doors off the Windows machine in every other aspect of 3D rendering (shadows, watercolor, elevations, etc.). So strange....
    I tried the same thing. Mac and pc open at same time with same large 48mb file. Opening overviews with floor plan and 2 overviews present. The third overview for the mac took 4 seconds, the overview for the pc took 7 to 8 seconds.

Three overviews open, want to spin overview, both machines responded quickly.

Take back clip cross section, mac 4 seconds, pc 8 seconds.

Tile vertically 5 windows, mac faster.

Those tests tell me the mac is faster for those tasks.

When it comes to roof editing in 3d view, pc quicker, i think, maybe inconclusive.
    When it comes to roof editing in plan view, mac quicker, 2 seconds for mac, 3 seconds for pc..... I think.....

Merge two roof planes in 3d, mac took 30 seconds, the pc took 18-20 seconds..... I will send this in to tech support to support Steve's ascertain than roof editing can be slow.

I am comparing my imac to my pc which I think is pretty quick..... or it was...... who knows if my pc is getting old and slow.

Thanks Steve C. for the idea, in my experience my mac is quicker than my pc.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I would be grateful if you would send it in, they apparently haven't had many reports to this effect.

My world today....

Name:	My Office.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	62411
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

Well the new patch did nothing for my slow roof editing, and support was pretty much a non-factor. However, I have discovered that the best option to speed up roof editing (and still have the model rebuild) is to turn off the "Rooms" display in 3D view.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive