Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lag during roof editing in X6

I did a search and found that this was mentioned but never really solved in another thread. As I manually edit roofs there is a 3 to 4 second delay for every command; break, move, adjust, copy, etc. Auto build roofs is not on. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm working on a fairly involved roof system and it's taking me forever because of this.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    SSA membership since 2011
    Hebrews 3:4
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz)
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    512GB Flash Drive

From my own experience this is not an "issue" generally but rather it is plan and user specific. What I mean is that there are a lot of variables that contribute to a particular phenomena which Chief Architect Inc cannot control nor can they be held as responsible IMHO. Things like how many background programs are running on your PC, the general maintenance and condition of your PC and its hard drives, how fastidious-methodical you are constructing your models.
    There are an infinity of ways to cause unwanted behaviors.
    On my PC, specifically with X6, I have noticed that there are minor "time lags" that I do not, did not get with X5. I write that off to the fact that X6 is in Beta and nothing more.
    Are you getting the lags in X5 or X6 or both?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

You shouldn't be having those kind of problems with that setup, maybe something in the plan is the culprit. A symbol with a lot of faces can do it. A lot of rounded type railings can also slow things down. A large terrain might also slow it. Try to turn off those things when working on that roof. You can create an annoset to change it very quickly, then back when needed.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    Steve.........I mentioned this in a thread a short time back and Glenn said to check if I had Auto roof framing on, which I did. This made a difference when I turned it off, but I still had a lag, just not as bad. I probably should have sent in a ticket on this, but at the time I just "moved on". I'm sort of glad to hear someone else is having this problem. From your computer specs. your system is much stronger than mine. As of yet I haven't found an answer, so I'll be following your thread. Good luck.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

I'm hoping it's just a beta bug. Regretfully, I'm only running X6 since I purchased my iMac.....never again
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

I know Scott (DS hall) had some problems with slowness in his new Mac. He seems to have it going good now, and remember this is still Beta and soon there will be a new final release.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

cache is offline Registered User Promoted
    I have big lag problems with the whole plan as soon as I draw a full roof. If the roof planes are showing, then the plan lags with every edit. Overall, X6 is simply much slower than previous versions.
    Software & Peripherals
    Chief Architect X6 beta
    Thea Render
    Blender
    Crazybumps
    Sketchup
    Photoshop CS6
    Wacom Tablet
    Three 24" and one 17" monitor

Portable Workstation
    Core2 Extreme 2.54GHz
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit

Desktop
    Intel Core i5 3.8GHz Quad Core
    32GB DDR3 RAM
    Linux / Windows 7 64-bit
    GTX660 2GB discrete GPU

Any case where you can show that X6 is slower than X5 is something we want to know about. Ideally send in an X5 plan to our support team so that we can do an accurate comparison between the versions. I'm not currently aware of any significant performance issues associated with roofs, but that doesn't mean that your plan doesn't have a problem.

Please don't assume that we are aware of the cause. The number of possible reasons for slowness is quite large. While we could likely spend a lot of time finding issues and then optimizing them, we would rather look at real world cases.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    I did a search and found that this was mentioned but never really solved in another thread. As I manually edit roofs there is a 3 to 4 second delay for every command; break, move, adjust, copy, etc. Auto build roofs is not on. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm working on a fairly involved roof system and it's taking me forever because of this.
    Steve, are you editing in plan view or 3D view? Or do you have both plan and 3D view windows open at once? I have a system almost identical to yours and I get a delay similar to what your describing when I edit roof planes in 3D view or plan view with a 3D view open beside it, but not when I edit just in plan view. When editing in 3D, I get the 'Building 3D model' that pops-up for a few seconds and disappears. That pop-up doesn't show when I tile the plan and 3D view windows, but the delay is the same. Maybe more of a mac version issue than windows? I think our graphics card is pretty good, so I wouldn't think that's the issue.
    Levis Lavoie
    Owner / Architectural Tech
    www.design3drafting.ca

X6 Beta 3
    User since X1
    Apple 27" iMac and 15" MacBook Pro

Levis, in 2D roof edits are kind of slow (2 to 3 second delay), in 3D it's painfully slow (2 to 3 secs followed by an additional 2 to 3 secs to build in 3D). It's not on every plan though. The plan I have the most trouble with was actually created with X6, but it's a big house (about 5000 sf under roof). I get random crashes too. Kinda getting on my nerves. The one thing I've found most valuable with my new iMac......Command-S is your friend!

Out of curiosity, are you having the same problems on your MacBook Pro? I used my wife's 13" MacBook Pro a few times with CA and it screamed through everything. Didn't really run it hard but enough to be impressed.
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

Steve, I don't use Chief on my MacBook a whole lot anymore... We had 2 MacBooks (1 for me, 1 for my wife) and sold one to buy the iMac. Mine was a year newer and faster, but my wife didn't want to sell hers, so we sold the newer one! Oh well... got more $$$ for it so the iMac wasn't as hard on the wallet!!! Anyway, I still use Chief on the MacBook, especially for client meetings and such, but I much prefer working on the iMac at home. It's much faster. And the screen size, well that's not even close! I'm not experiencing the lags in 2D roof editing like you are seeing, though the plan I'm working on is about half the size of yours (2,800 sf under roof). I don't work on plans in the 5,000 sf range too often. I get the occasional crash, and the odd weird glitch, but not too often. And most times I re-open and only lost a couple minutes of work. That's one thing I really admire about Chief as compared to back when I used Autocad... autosaves actually work! Here are the specs of my MacBook (mid 2010 model):

2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 processor
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT330M 256 MB graphics

You can see why I prefer the iMac...
    Levis Lavoie
    Owner / Architectural Tech
    www.design3drafting.ca

X6 Beta 3
    User since X1
    Apple 27" iMac and 15" MacBook Pro

I wanted to wait to comment on this until I was sure I agreed with the lag. Yes, working on a fairly large project and definitely a lag when editing roofs and creating ceiling planes. Auto framing is off and there is a lag time between creating the ceiling planes. I think I will send in my plan so CA can review it to see if they can possibly speed this up in the future.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I wanted to wait to comment on this until I was sure I agreed with the lag. Yes, working on a fairly large project and definitely a lag when editing roofs and creating ceiling planes. Auto framing is off and there is a lag time between creating the ceiling planes. I think I will send in my plan so CA can review it to see if they can possibly speed this up in the future.
    I sent 2 plans in that were slow in roof edits and this is the response I received:

"We are not observing any noticeable slowness with regards to modifying the roofs in either of these two files, in either the 2D floor plan view, or in a 3D camera view. Is there a specific tool or modification you are making when seems particularly slow?"

Lovely...... I asked them what system they were using, have not heard back yet :-/
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

Wow, roof edits now take 10 to 15 seconds to complete in 3D (slightly faster in 2D). I'm considering downloading the Windows version and running Bootcamp. I posed this question to support. Has anyone else done this with X6? Is anyone having this problem with the Windows version?
    X, X3, X5 and X6
    stevecoxinc.net
    Pinterest
    Houzz

Apple 27" iMac
    32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    512GB Flash Drive

Yes, roof editing in W7 is slow.
    I don't get 10-15 seconds, but on a fairly simple plan it is about 2 secs.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD