Can I Draw On An Existing Photo In Chief Architect?

Hello Everyone,

I am currently using X5, and I know it is possible to import pictures to chief and use them as backgrounds or for other graphic purposes, but more specifically I was just asked recently if it would be possible to take a picture of the front of a persons house and add a porch, new windows, and some other modifications to the house without actually taking the time to draw a whole house plan. I have a couple of ideas of how I might be able to accomplish this, but thinking about the amount of time I would put into making it look remotely professional, I feel like I could have just drawn a plan and done a ray trace and been done with it.

So I am looking for some wisdom if editing a picture in that way in chief is possible? Or if it is but is extremely labor intensive, if it would just make more sense to draw the home and do a ray trace and just add a realistic picture for the background.

Thanks everyone for your help, and I appreciate your time.

I think your better to draw the house from the picture, then add the elements you desire. Then as you said render with picture as a background.
    If you have the software make a mask layer for a foreground.
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

CA used to sell this product under the Better Homes and Garden label

http://www.amazon.com/Chief-Architec.../dp/B000EO7F0U

It didn't work all that well....

I agree that it would probably be better to create a chief model and go from there

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I have done this a few times. It is difficult to match in the camera angle so the more you can get for points of orientation the better. I often use the photo as a background image but mock up a basic box that represents some lines of the house for being able to make the adjustments to camera position and lens angle. Use a glass house view for camera positioning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portola-renders-v2-1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	62161  
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

I agree with Alan. The camera angle is critical, so critical that doing a box mock up is a must. I am frequently asked by Realtors to do something to show what can be done to correct a flaw that is holding a home back from sale. It those cases drawing the exterior walls, roof, windows and doors is my beginning.

Fortunately, with digital photography we pay no premium for taking lots and lots of pictures, though they may seem redundant.
    ~ Cheryl
    Ver X5
    AMD 6 Core 1045T 2.70GHz 8 Gig DDR
    ATI Radeon R6670 2 Gig Graphics
    Win 7