CA X6 Beta slower than a snail caught in a salt slick

I just opened a large file in CA X6 'Beta', it is super slow, far slower than X5, if I turn off 'undo' it is somewhat better. Renders and raytraces are fine. I'm talking about doing 'stuff' in 2D mode. Anyone notice this? I'm trying to move a toilet and it takes four to five seconds...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Have not noticed that Bill. I have noticed some slow downs in other areas but my memory is not serving well to remember what those were. Is this an older file? I think that's been slowing me down from an older, like version 10 file, and X6 is just bogging for some reason. I'd call tech support - you paid for it and they are very helpful.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Might be time to upgrade your PC... I did a little research, and it seems that your CPU and video card are considerably slower than current technology. See links to benchmarks below:

CPU Info:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...ad-Core&id=301
    Video card info:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gp...+9800+GT&id=60

Hope this helps!
    -------------------------------------------
    Rob Aldecocea
    Revolution Design and Build
    Wayzata, MN

Chief X5
    Windows 7
    i7-3930K @ 4.4 GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    ASUS Sabertooth X79

Is it affecting your whole computer or just Chief?
    I saw an issue where a computer was running extremely slow. I had built up a ton of files in my local temp directory that was slowing things down.
    Take a look at the folder C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp
    If you have a lot of files there that could be the problem.

Any case where a plan is clearly slower in X6 than X5 is something we want to look at. If you can get the X5 plan to our support team we will look at what is causing the slowness and see if there is anything we can do to improve performance.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Sorry for the slow response, it is indeed an old, old file... That being the case it runs pretty well on my laptop and Surface Pro2... And now for the question, a lot of dialog boxes (X6) now show a 3D representation of the item selected, prime example the 'wall specification' dbx. Is this dependent on the video card or the CPU? I'm thinking GPU. Also with 'Undo' activated on my desktop, it is pitifully slow, but there is also a lag time opening dbx boxes with 3D displays... If I try to change a wall type, via the dbx box, it doesn't work on the desktop period, but does on the laptop and Surface Pro 2 with ease.... So should I try updating my video card or perhaps go solid state on my hard drive, or just 'ditch' the 'bitch' and build a new one...

My mind is set on 'build a new one' but there is also another mind involved that will have to convinced, and concessions made, and I'm not sure I can withstand the consequences of a wife scorned by CA!
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Assuming the specs in your signature line are what you are running on, I would recommend a new machine. The NVIDIA 9800 doesn't even make it on the high end video card benchmark list these days and the AMD Phenom is even further down the list in performance compared to what is available. I would guess that pretty much any $500 desktop would seem like a huge step up, although I would generally recommend something in the $1000-$2000 range if you are buying a pre built machine. If you are building your own then you should be able to do very well for $1000 or possibly even a bit less.

The 3d previews in dialogs are using OpenGL so the video card is a large factor in performance.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

My undo in x6 beta is a bit slower than x5. It is not tremendous, but I notice a slight difference. I have to enlarge my SSD, so I purchased one that is a bit faster than the one I have, so I am hoping that picks up the slack.
    Jason Parsons
    Design Build Pros

jparsons@designbuildpros.com

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600k
    OC to 4.7 GHz
    Dual GTX 580 Video-SLI
    Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
    16 GB DDR3 ram 1866
    128 GB SSD
    Win 7 Pro-64 Bit
    X-5