Autocad file from architect to X6

Hi everyone. Fairly new to chief architect. I have an Autocad file from my architect that I would like to import to x6. They sent it with many layers and non of the real predefined layers that chief manuals talk about (walls, windows, doors). Not sure the best method to import the plan. When I try to import there are 20 layers all labeled different sections. When I try the cad to walls it looked a mess. Any ideas?? I cannot get the files again, the plans are 5 years old. Also wondering what you would do if you bought plans from a site like eplans, and wanted to import?? Any help would be great.

You can import the file using the import command. It is fairly self explanatory but what I would do when it is importing and asks how you would like to define it, add a new layer called _reference layer. Once the file is imported it will put all the layer on one single layer that you can turn on and off and lock it as well. Hope this helps.

Christopher Anderson
    Design-Discoveries.com

In my opinion I would completely ditch the DWG as far as importing into Chief. It would be faster and more accurate to redraw the house from scratch using the AutoCad drawings as a reference only (in either digital or printed form). The DWG imported into Chief will bog the system down anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I use import CAD all the time and have had no problems...i like using it to trace...turn on and off for reference etc. I often use the CAD to Walls feature to get a very crude start...it's rough but still faster then redrawing....just adjust the walls, etc.

Good luck!

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I will try it all. Thanks.

I trace plans from AutoCAD files often. I don't mess with all the different layers. I import as one layer that I can turn off and on as needed. As long as you don't block it but do lock it, Chief will trace it just fine and follow the AutoCAD lines. I don't use the Cad to walls feature. When you import it, you definitely want to be sure that the import is not a million miles off absolute 0",0".
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)