New to CA, just downloaded X6. couple ?'s

Hello,

I hope someone with experience can assist me. I've searched through the net trying to find the answers. Wish an experienced user in Kansas City area could come over for a couple hours. Anyway, Starting with just trying to draw our home, which is very complex and testing the limits of this software. I'm experienced in autocad, but this is my first go at CA.... like it so far.

I only have a few hours on the software, but having such a hard time getting a finished space below a garage. X6 doesn't allow you to put living spaces under a garage space... I'm sure there is a way, but the way it's setup isn't intuitive. I've got two separate garages that have suspended slabs and a porch that is finished under also. Easy way to do this? I've watched tutorials and the previous versions have different boxes that may allow you to do this, but not x6 from what I'm seeing... I can lengthen the wall to the rest of the basement, but I can't get a floor or living space under a garage. My goal is to have a 3d correct model for the home and not trick the software to make it look right, but not really be correct if that makes sense.

Other question is I know how to make a vaulted ceiling and I know how to make a flat ceiling. In x6, I can't figure out how to draw the simple ceiling in one of the garages. The garage walls in that garage are 12'. The ceiling is vaulted from the 12' top plate of the wall and then it flattens at 16'. I'm guessing this should be easy since this is common, but I've plugged in all the numbers in the structure page on the options for the room and it will just raise and lower the walls not the ceiling. Do I need to use the soffit tools? Like the room in most attic spaces, the cross section would look like a triangle with the top cut off. not sure....

Thanks in advance. (I'm a noobie)

Tyler
    Last edited by tlk50970; 01-20-2014 at 04:51 AM.

Hi & welcome.

To get a space below the garage simply select "unspecified" or any other room type in the room dialog box. Uncheck "Use room type" and type in your own "Garage" room name. This will allow you to modify the floor structure in a way the garage room type will not.

For your ceiling you can uncheck "ceiling over this room" on the structure tab. If your roof plane has a ceiling the garage ceiling will then follow it, otherwise there is a "ceiling plane" tool you can use to create a custom ceiling plane in the proper location.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Kevin stole my answers
    Chief 97 - X6
    Paid up on SSA
    17 years before the mast...
    and LOVING it!
    HP quad core rig
    12 gigs ram
    Windows 8.1
    and a 30" Dell monitor

Thanks a lot guys. I'm not home but will try this when I get home. Was just hoping that the garage area would be still concrete floor which I'm sure I can figure out easily. It's got a phantom car lift so if I make cross sections I want all the surfaces to show as structural concrete not just a texture image or colored concrete. I'll give these a try thanks a ton!

Tyler