Spot light angles

What is the difference between tilt angles and direction angles in the light data dialog box? Also, I've downloaded X6 and not able to see directional arrows in camera view, even though I have the show position in camera view box checked. Is anyone else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by freshrooms View Post
    What is the difference between tilt angles and direction angles in the light data dialog box?
    Have you tried the help file - it is covered there.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I can't see the position in camera view. In X5 I was able to direct a spot light and see an arrow in camera view to know it is pointing in the right direction, but can't see the arrow in X6... Is anyone else having this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by freshrooms View Post
    What is the difference between tilt angles and direction angles in the light data dialog box?
    This subject came up on the HomeTalk forum. Here is a little sketch I prepared to explain the difference. Basically "Tilt Angle" is how high the sun is in the sky and "Direction Angle" is the direction from which the light is coming. A Direction Angle of 90 degrees will cause the light to shine directly on the front of the structure. Also be sure to use negative numbers for the Tilt Angle if you want the light to come from above. For some reason that escapes me positive numbers cause the light to shine up from below (very strange behavior for sunlight).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjust Lights.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	62098  
    My Homebuilt Rig:
    Intel DZ77GA-70K Extreme MB with Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU @ 3.5GHz
    Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series AX750
    Applications Drive – Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD
    Data Drive – Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB
    Memory – Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Video - NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5
    Monitors - 2 Dell U3014 30”

My Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    CA X6 Build: 16.1.1.9x64
    Home Designer Pro 2014
    SolidWorks 2012-2013-2014
    AutoCAD 2005–2006

Have you checked above your ceiling? If you move your spot light below the ceiling, you should be able to see the direction and tilt you have the light set for. This only works in camera views - not in plan - unless there's a setting somewhere that I am missing.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

under light data you need to check show position in camera view to see the CAD lines
    showing the direction.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5