Changing vertical angle of ducting

I am creating plans for a workshop and the shop has ducts from 8" stepping down to 4". I have pretty much got it all laid out, but all is on a horizontal plane. I need to create several elevation changes (45 degree elbows are to be used).

I also need to join 2 ducts of different with a downdrop.

Thanks!
    Bruce

If want some suggestions, I think you need to supply more info to narrow the possibilities. Perhaps attach a plan of what you have and what you want to see.

Only saying, because there are many different ways to approach this and I doubt people here would be willing to make that many assumptions as to what you are doing and what is your framework.

Do you want just a line schematic or projection view; 2D, elevations or 3D views? Must this fit within an existing plan or layout? Do you intend to use polylines, moldings or symbols? Is this a spiral, round, or square ductwork? Etc., Etc.

Too many variables unless you provide more info. -- Post a plan.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

OK, I understand. Right now I am having more of an issue as I d/l x6, and now I have NO 3d display (need to research and create a new thread for that.) I will get a plan up here when I can get back into my plan.

Thanks!

Changing vertical angle of ducting - Plan attached

Here is a stripped down file.

"IDEALLY" what I would like to do is to be able to create a schedule of parts, but the main thing is to work with placement and verify 3d clearances etc.

My main issues as far as the way I have been building it, I have been needing to create each piece manually in sketchup, and then import it.

(for this plan, I did re-size things in CA, instead of creating a new item for each size, which I would need to do if I want a schedule, I presume - I am a noob)

This means that for each wye, I need to have 4 main orientations of the item, and would need these items for each size.
    Then I have one piece the needs to join the 8' high duct line to the 12' high line.

What would be REALLY REALLY nice is if there is a way to rotate an item on any or all 3 axis. Maybe in the details box a way to lock axis.

Is the approach I am taking the correct one?

I was starting out by trying to use 3d molding poly lines, but I could not find anyway to do some of the runs (mainly the vertical and diagonal) This would be the easiest way, If I could figure out how to create polylines the are not strictly on the same horizontal plane.

thanks,
    Bruce
    Attached Files Attached Files

concerning MEP tools chief only has Electric

while Chief has primitive BIM capabilities collision detection is not one of its features

nor does Chief offer much in BIM collaboration for using 3rd party BIM software capable of adding MEP

Lew

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

concerning MEP tools chief only has Electric

while Chief has primitive BIM capabilities collision detection is not one of its features

nor does Chief offer much in BIM collaboration for using 3rd party BIM software capable of adding MEP

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Attached is a video demo using 3D moldings. The advantage of 3D molding is that the pipe connections will miter correctly if properly aligned -- That's the rub!!

Fittings can be cut in but very difficult to align. I'm trying to understand the alignment process and if I come up with something reasonable I'll make another video.

http://youtu.be/gWBCSqO_UQQ

Symbols and polylines may be easier if the alignment is worked out. I think that is possible with some experience. Chief doesn't make this easy -- Lots of boulders!!

EDIT: one way to avoid some confusion is to add a small 3D axis Symbol in plan.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Second video describing how to insert fittings in a 3D molding line.

http://youtu.be/HytDxXaZ0y4

Attached is a plan similar to above using symbols with fittings. My opinion is that: because symbols in Chief do not have controllable snaps, this type project can not be reasonable done in Chief. - Use something else!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services