'Default Settings/General Cad' and number styles

I'm having trouble understanding the relation between the settings I can do in 'Default Settings/General Cad' and the number styles dialog box in Open Object. I was further confused by this thread http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....light=bearings and the video by dshall. Are the General Cad settings per floor level or how does it work?

An example in the picture. When I created the polylines I had no problem designating it with quadrant bearings but after changing layer sets for other reasons I noticed the line numbers had changed to feet and fractional inches and the angle to degrees. I can change the font etc via text styles but can't seem to change the actual number style no matter which number style dialog box or layer I change. Except for the Default Settings/General Cad dbx. I just don't understand how this dbx fits into the hierarchy? Why can't I change the format to quadrant bearings in the number styles dbx in Open Object? It says Quadrant bearings but nothing happens until I change it in Default Settings?

I have a similar issue with the angle dimension. If I Open Object I can change from degrees to bearings, etc, but I can't control the number of decimals for example? All you see in the picture is on the same layer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearings.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	62090
    X6 - Windows 7 64bit

Number Style has no effect on the display of the number in plan. It only changes how the number is displayed in the DBX fields & you can still enter the number ,in the field, in any format.

The format for the display of CAD lines in plan is set by: Default, Cad, General Cad, Define Line Length Format and is set by level.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

I'm obviously being incredibly thick here, but what is the dbx fields? If I select for example the angle dimension and go into the number style dialog box (dbx right?) and change from degree to bearings it changes in plan, right? What am I missing?
    X6 - Windows 7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Nicinus View Post
    I'm obviously being incredibly thick here, but what is the dbx fields? If I select for example the angle dimension and go into the number style dialog box (dbx right?) and change from degree to bearings it changes in plan, right? What am I missing?
    DBX fields are the entry field in a object selection dialog -- can't explain it better. Number Style Dialog does not change line length style in plan -- See help.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Ok, so let me see if I got this right:

Number style does not affect plan.

Line length and angle is controlled by Default General Cad settings and visible if boxes checked.

Dimension format is controlled by the Dimensions Annotation set.

Am I getting close?

But how do I control the number of decimals in my angle dimension in the picture above? (Now 6 decimals)
    X6 - Windows 7 64bit

Yes, you have it.

And you can't.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Nicinus View Post
    Am I getting close?

But how do I control the number of decimals in my angle dimension in the picture above? (Now 6 decimals)
    You got it.

I don't believe you can control the decimals in angle degrees. Its probably set at the internal accuracy of Chief at hundreds of a second.

But that's a question best sent to tech support as there may be some hidden setting for accuracy.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Thanks guys!
    X6 - Windows 7 64bit